Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Werner Dittmann <We...@t-online.de> on 2005/09/05 10:21:42 UTC

Re: Extending WSS4J to the new OASIS specs

All,

after we got positive votes to do a 1.1.0 release I created a
"WSS4J_1_1_0_FINAL" branch in SVN. This branch was created on
Sun Sep 4 at 12:40 MESZ. Support of older namespaces is
availiabe in this branch only.

The next source checkin into the main trunk will contain the first part
of the modifications as described in the mail below.

In this first chunk the configurable namespaces are gone, WSSConfig
is reduced to hold a few parameters only. Some methods that contained
a WSSConfig parameter were modified to remove this parameter because
it was not longer used. Most of these methods are internal methods
anyhow.
Because WSSConfig was not really used that often IMO this does not
affect other implementations.

After doing some more tests an code cleanup I'll checkin the
modifications later this day - be prepared :-).

If someone has time and some free cycles I would appreciate if
you can perform some tests with the modified SW to get an
early feedback in case of problems (due to oversights, typos,
etc.). If all goes well we will start to add the first
WSS 1.1 features after that.

Regards,
Werner

Extending WSS4J to the new OASIS specs - first impl of SignatureConfirmation

Posted by Werner Dittmann <We...@t-online.de>.
All,

with the next checkin a first step of the SIgnatureConfirmation
feature of WSS 1.1 is done.

Because of some open issues with the spec this first implementation
assumes:

- generate SignatureConfirmation for every Signature of every
  wsse:Security header of the request - there my be several
  wsse:Security headers in one request (with different actor/role)

- place all SignatureConfirmation elements together in one
  wsse:Security header of the response. This because it is not
  necessary that the wsse:Security headers have a one-to-one
  relationship with the request headers.

- do not sign SignatureConfirmation yet - here are IMHO some open issues
  in the spec

- do not encrypt even if the Signature block of the request was
  encrypted. I doubt if such an encryption makes sense.

To enable and test this feature you need to download the source
from SVN (trunk head), set the variable "enableSignatureConfirmation"
to "true" (for the time being it set to "false" by default).

If anybody is going to test this _and_ uses the handler chaining
feature of WSS4J pls ask for additional info. In this case one
specific modification in the WSDD files may be required.