Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Geetha Rodricks <ge...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/15 01:28:17 UTC

Re: Multiple requests for same image = very slow tree rendering

Hi

Did you get anywhere with this issue - I have found the same issue
We have a tree2 component with  lots of nodes.
To render the tree I get to see multiple gets of the same image which is
definitely slows the rendering of the tree.

Is there any way to avoid that ?

Thanks

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
Just an FYI on this topic. IE has had many problems with caching images,
especially those that are specified using CSS. Take for example:

A { background-image: url(a.gif); }
A:hover { background-image: url(a2.gif); }

I have seen IE re-load a.gif & a2.gif for every mouseover/mouseout.

done about IE's behaviour except moving to a better browser.

if we could only stop ppl from using pre-installed bloatware and malware (I
put IE in both of these categories)...

Re: Multiple requests for same image = very slow tree rendering

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
It seems to be an IE wierdness.

With Firefox, when an html page contains N links to exactly the same
resource, Firefox opens one connection and requests this resource once.
When the resource is returned, it is then used in all N places.

With IE, IE immediately opens N concurrent connections to the server and
issues a request for the same resource over each connection. When the
first response is received, IE then abruptly closes all the other
connections. But of course this big burst of socket-creation and
parallel data transfer can bog down networks and servers.

This IE behaviour was causing nasty "broken socket" warning messages
from Tomcat's ExtensionFilter because browsers really shouldn't close
connections; the server should do that after the response is complete.
I've silenced this warning, but AFAIK there isn't anything that can be
done about IE's behaviour except moving to a better browser.

Regards,
Simon