Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> on 2005/09/12 11:48:08 UTC

Hyphenation

I noticed we don't have any hyphenation testcases in the layout engine test
suite. Are there any handy samples around for different languages? German is
easy with words like:
Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz and
Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitaetenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellsc
haft one can easily force hyphenation. But what about the other languages? I
assume the Swiss contributors could come up with some French, Italian and
Raeto-Romanisch (forget about that we don't have a hyphenation file for it)
samples and there are some native English speakers around as well. For which
language which is supported by a FOP/OFFO hyphenation file can we come up
with the longest proper word :-)?

Manuel

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Manuel Mall wrote:
> I noticed we don't have any hyphenation testcases in the layout engine test
> suite.

I'm working on that, as well as on test case for TR14 compatible
line breaking (not yet implemented though...).

J.Pietschmann

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Sep 12, 2005, at 12:17, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

> ..., I noticed that the hyphenation patterns still haven't been
> removed yet. I remember running into problems while trying to remove
> them a couple of months ago, so this appears to be a task I still have
> to finish...
>
> Can they be safely removed now, or are there any other issues that
> need to be taken care of first? (The links to OFFO on the Hyphenation
> page seem to be in order...)

Since no-one has responded to this, I take it there are no objections.
Hyphenation patterns currently present under src/hyph will be removed,
as will the whole directory. build.xml will also be updated to reflect
this change.

If there was someone who didn't agree, you can always revert.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Sep 12, 2005, at 12:48, Manuel Mall wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:17 pm, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>> BTW: On the release-plan Wiki, I noticed that the hyphenation
>> patterns still haven't been removed yet. I remember running into
>> problems while trying to remove them a couple of months ago, so this
>> appears to be a task I still have to finish...
>
> Actually the hyphenation patterns are still build as part of FOP in the
> moment.

Yes, because the source XMLs are still present under src/hyph. IIRC, it
was the intention of removing them altogether, so users would have to
download them from OFFO if needed.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:17 pm, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2005, at 12:06, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Uhm, given that we've decided to remove the hyphenation patterns
> > entirely, we can't do these tests at all. D'oh!

I don't quite understand that argument. Just because we don't distribute
hyphenation pattern files doesn't mean we can't use the OFFO jar for
hyphenation tests I thought. We use other external jars without
distributing them. How else can we (regression) test such core
functionality in FOP?

> BTW: On the release-plan Wiki, I noticed that the hyphenation
> patterns still haven't been removed yet. I remember running into
> problems while trying to remove them a couple of months ago, so this
> appears to be a task I still have to finish...

Actually the hyphenation patterns are still build as part of FOP in the
moment.

> Can they be safely removed now, or are there any other issues that
> need to be taken care of first? (The links to OFFO on the Hyphenation
> page seem to be in order...)
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

Manuel

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Sep 12, 2005, at 12:06, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Uhm, given that we've decided to remove the hyphenation patterns
> entirely, we can't do these tests at all. D'oh!

BTW: On the release-plan Wiki, I noticed that the hyphenation patterns

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Uhm, given that we've decided to remove the hyphenation patterns
entirely, we can't do these tests at all. D'oh!

BTW, which of the rhaeto-romanic dialects would you like to have
hyphenation files for? Probably at least the (artificial) Rumantsch
Grischun but some people from that area would probably kick you for
supporting that language. *bg*

On 12.09.2005 11:48:08 Manuel Mall wrote:
> I noticed we don't have any hyphenation testcases in the layout engine test
> suite. Are there any handy samples around for different languages? German is
> easy with words like:
> Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz and
> Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitaetenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellsc
> haft one can easily force hyphenation. But what about the other languages? I
> assume the Swiss contributors could come up with some French, Italian and
> Raeto-Romanisch (forget about that we don't have a hyphenation file for it)
> samples and there are some native English speakers around as well. For which
> language which is supported by a FOP/OFFO hyphenation file can we come up
> with the longest proper word :-)?
>
> Manuel

Jeremias Maerki