Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com> on 2004/06/25 03:56:19 UTC

build problems

Hey Eric.  I just synced up and now I'm also seeing all of those
ClassNotFound exceptions on the JAM 15 delegate.  I'm looking at the new
bootstrap jar you checked in and I see now that it actually contains JAM
classes.  However, that version of JAM was built under 1.4 (as you said)
because it is missing the 15 delegate classes, and that is why we're
seeing these messages.

I *think* the errors are benign, at least for the now, but it seems like
we need to sort out what is the right thing to do here.  What seems to
have happened is that Cezar made some changes to SchemaConfig back in
May which caused it to depend on JAM, so I guess that's why its going
into oldxbean.jar.  So, where it used to be the case that

- xbeans v1 does not depend on JAM

- xbeans v2 does depend on JAM

- JAM does not depend on xbeans v1 or v2

Now xbeans v1 does have dependencies on JAM.  If that is going to be the
case, then I think oldxbean.jar will need to always be built under 1.5.

An alternative approach would be to just check JAM into xbeans as a
separate lib.  In some ways this makes more sense, since that is how
things will end up anyway if it moves to another project.  I think that
would solve the problem we are seeing now.

We could also see if we can restrict JAM usage to xbeans v2, but that
may not be reasonable.

-p