Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rw...@us.britannica.com> on 2002/05/01 08:33:54 UTC

minor commons-pool interface change

Sorry for the cross-post, but this seems an appropriate occasion. Future
discussion might reasonably move to the commons-dev list.

As previously mentioned on commons-dev, we'd like to change the ObjectPool
and KeyedObjectPool numActive and numIdle methods into the more common
getNumActive and getNumIdle style of getter.

As far as I can tell, the only place in Jakarta land that is currently using
numActive or numIdle directly (or at least, the only places I can't update
directly) is in the TurbineIntakeService class at

jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/src/services/org/apache/fulcrum/intake/TurbineIntake
Service.java

Specifically, the getSize(String) method uses KeyedObjectPool.numActive and
KeyedObjectPool.numIdle:

I've just deprecated those methods in KeyedObjectPool, and I'd like to
remove them altogether before the next pool release.  If someone could
change the TurbineIntakeService.getSize method to:

    public int getSize(String name)
    {
        return keyedPool.getNumActive(name) + keyedPool.getNumIdle(name);
    }

then we could complete the change without even breaking anyone's gump build.

Comments or complaints welcome,

- Rod

Re: minor commons-pool interface change

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> Ah, good observation.  I was also assuming that they
> would be removed before the 1.0 releaase (and +1 to
> that notion).
>
> - Morgan

I'm not a DBCP bod, but I'm +1 to the idea that a pre 1.0 release is
considered to be unstable by any user and they use at their own risk.

Hen

Re: minor commons-pool interface change

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- John McNally <jm...@collab.net> wrote:
> This is a pretty easy change and as long as this
> work is getting us very
> close to a pool package release, I am happy to do
> so.
>
> A little more below:
>
> On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 23:33, Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:
> > Sorry for the cross-post, but this seems an
> appropriate occasion. Future
> <snip/>
> >
> > I've just deprecated those methods in
> KeyedObjectPool, and I'd like to
> > remove them altogether before the next pool
> release.
> <snip/>
>
> I believe this line is what has caused the series of
> later emails.  As
> pool has not been released, what does the next
> release mean?  The first
> one or the one following the first.  I assume it
> means the first.  But
> there can be confusion, I think.
>
> john mcnally

Ah, good observation.  I was also assuming that they
would be removed before the 1.0 releaase (and +1 to
that notion).

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org

Re: minor commons-pool interface change

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/30/02 11:33 PM, "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rw...@us.britannica.com> wrote:

> then we could complete the change without even breaking anyone's gump build.
>
> Comments or complaints welcome,
>
> - Rod

If you deprecate the methods properly, it won't break a gump build.

That said, I will make the changes *after* you make another pool release so
that Fulcrum isn't dependent on CVS head of pool.

-jon

Re: minor commons-pool interface change

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:
> on 4/30/02 11:33 PM, "Waldhoff, Rodney"
> <rw...@us.britannica.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just deprecated those methods in
> KeyedObjectPool, and I'd like to
> > remove them altogether before the next pool
> release.
>
> Ummmmmmm....Jakarta projects aren't the only people
> who use your code. You
> really should follow standard deprecation rules
> instead of just making
> changes like you are.
>
> -jon

I think Rod's just trying to nail down the final
interface before a 1.0 release; otherwise, he'd have
to wait until the next major release to remove the
deprecated methods.

- Morgan

=====

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

--
Nixon: "At least with liquor, I don't lose motivation."