Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/12/26 05:26:30 UTC

undated built release notes

Hi,

I've updated;
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Release+Guide+for+the+SDK

In particular to take into account the develop and release branches.

This a slight issue with tagging the release as the release is built from the release branch, but I assume we would want to tag the trunk after the release branch has been merged with it. In theory there should be no changes in the trunk, but it seems there been a few occasions when people have checked stuff into the trunk accidentally or otherwise so we're likely to get a conflict or two so what end up getting tagged by not actually be what was released. The whole point of having seperate release, develop and trunk branch was that trunk is the last good know release.

Any suggestions of how to improve this process?

Justin

Re: undated built release notes

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 25, 2012 8:30 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/25/12 8:26 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've updated;

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Release+Guide+for+the+SDK

> > In particular to take into account the develop and release branches.
> >
> > This a slight issue with tagging the release as the release is built
from the
> > release branch, but I assume we would want to tag the trunk after the
release
> > branch has been merged with it. In theory there should be no changes in
the
> > trunk, but it seems there been a few occasions when people have checked
stuff
> > into the trunk accidentally or otherwise so we're likely to get a
conflict or
> > two so what end up getting tagged by not actually be what was released.
The
> > whole point of having seperate release, develop and trunk branch was
that
> > trunk is the last good know release.
> >
> > Any suggestions of how to improve this process?
> Well, we should be vetoing any checkins to trunk.   But I think folks
aren't
> quite sure how to revert (it is sort of a pain in SVN) and some things
> didn't get reverted.  I know there's sort of a rule about not reverting
> someone else's changes, but I think it is ok in this case.  If you can,
> verify that the change that went into trunk did actually end up in
develop,
> then revert it out of trunk.

+1 to selectively reverting from trunk as a special case this time.

The better approach would be revert trunk to the 4.8 tag before merging the
4.9 branch.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.