Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2008/05/28 06:42:54 UTC

Re: Setting up Eclipse update site

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Geronimo use the dist directory [1], UIMA use also their
> distribution directory [2], Maven host it on codehaus [3], Harmony
> use their web-site [4], and as Xavier said, Apache Directory also
> use their web site [5].
>
> If it is technically possible, I guess using the mirrored dist
> directory is better.

Please forgive this old Emacs user's ignorance, but I have no idea
what an Eclipse update site is.

If it holds files we'd want to distribute it should go into the dist
directory, this is where our distributions live and it has the benefit
of being automatically archived at archive.apache.org.

Stefan

AW: Setting up Eclipse update site

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
> > Geronimo use the dist directory [1], UIMA use also their
> > distribution directory [2], Maven host it on codehaus [3], Harmony
> > use their web-site [4], and as Xavier said, Apache Directory also
> > use their web site [5].
> >
> > If it is technically possible, I guess using the mirrored dist
> > directory is better.
>
> Please forgive this old Emacs user's ignorance, but I have no idea
> what an Eclipse update site is.
>
> If it holds files we'd want to distribute it should go into the dist
> directory, this is where our distributions live and it has the benefit
> of being automatically archived at archive.apache.org.

Eclipse has the feature to directly load "updates" and enhancements from

remote locations. So could
- download a "simple" Eclipse from eclipse.org
- start that
- add a new "update site"  (IvyDE Update Site =
http://somewhere.apache.org/somewhere )
- select "new feature"
- Eclipse searches and finds IvyDE
- select IvyDE
- Eclipse downloads that and installs it
And after a restart of Eclipse you have it.

Jan

Re: Setting up Eclipse update site

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le jeudi 29 mai 2008, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> On Wed, 28 May 2008, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are a few thing to take into considerations :
> >
> > 1. An eclipse update site must provide a site map page [1] that has
> > to change when a new version come.  2. The site map give the
> > possibility to reference an other file that contains a list of
> > mirrors.
> >
> > So, we have to choose what we want to archive and mirror :
> > - The jars
> > - The site.xml
> > - The mirror file
> >
> > I guess that we should mirror the jars,
>
> absolutely.
>
> > but I'm not sure about the site.xml and the page that list the
> > mirrors.
>
> If we make the page that lists the mirrors a CGI on the site (just
> like the downloadpages) we might be fine.
>
> Will Eclipse use the mirrors of that list or is it a user choice?  If
> it is a user choice then the main page should be a CGI as well and
> point to the mirrored jars so that Eclipse users would be forced to do
> something explicitly if they want to download the jars from
> apache.org.

I have found this interesting page:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasing-eclipse-update-site.html

There even a link to a build.xml that create the files for the update site. I
didn't took time to look at it closely though.

By the way, I have found some other docs about releasing, licencing, mirroring
etc, in the "incubator" website. Does those docs are irrelevent for graduated
project ? Or I can rely on them (apart from the release vote process) ?

Nicolas, reading apache docs

Re: Setting up Eclipse update site

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
There are a few thing to take into considerations :

1. An eclipse update site must provide a site map page [1] that has to
change when a new version come.
2. The site map give the possibility to reference an other file that
contains a list of mirrors.

So, we have to choose what we want to archive and mirror :
- The jars
- The site.xml
- The mirror file

I guess that we should mirror the jars, but I'm not sure about the
site.xml and the page that list the mirrors.

Note that in our case, there is an other 'page' to take into account :
the page on which we indicate where to find the update site.  This
page must be on our web site, and could use a script similar to the
download page in order to point the user directly to one mirrored
update site (in that case, the site.xml would be mirrored as well)

Finally, we should maybe raise that question (probably again) about an
apache wide eclipse update site.

Do you have any preference /advice here before we bring the question
on the infrastructure list ?

[1] http://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_sitemap.html

2008/5/28 Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Geronimo use the dist directory [1], UIMA use also their
>> distribution directory [2], Maven host it on codehaus [3], Harmony
>> use their web-site [4], and as Xavier said, Apache Directory also
>> use their web site [5].
>>
>> If it is technically possible, I guess using the mirrored dist
>> directory is better.
>
> Please forgive this old Emacs user's ignorance, but I have no idea
> what an Eclipse update site is.
>
> If it holds files we'd want to distribute it should go into the dist
> directory, this is where our distributions live and it has the benefit
> of being automatically archived at archive.apache.org.
>
> Stefan

Gilles Scokart