Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by sbelt <sb...@velos.com> on 2002/03/25 23:21:14 UTC

Corrupted .psml when switching from menu-pane to tab-pane(?)

Sorry if I missed this posted in the archives.

Problem: Changing a Tab-Pane to a Menu-Pane, then back to a Tab-Pane
corrupts the .psml

Scenario:

I am trying to use the menu-pane to create sub-menus. I start out creating a
tab-pane. I then add 2 panes so I now have tabs across the top of my screen
reading 'Home', 'Products'. I have 2 products, so I set the 'Products' pane
to be a tab-pane. I then add 2 panes under products called 'Product-A' and
'Product-B'. Each of these panes is defined as a single-column layout, and a
single portlet defined for each. So far, no problems.

I notice that when I click the 'Products' tab, I have a new row of tabs for
each of my products. It works, but it is not pretty, so I change the layout
of the Products pane to a Menu Pane. This looks much better!

But then, my boss wants me to add a second portlet to the second product's
page. So I convert the Menu Pane Back to a Tab Pane (so I now have the edit
icon next to each pane).

Then, I add a 3rd pane at the top level (where I had defined Home and
Products)  called 'Support'.  I am unable to add any portlets nor change its
layout. I cannot recover from the corruption unless I delete all Panes in
the top level up to and including the pane I switched between menu and tab.

What little I know: I looked as best I could at the psml at each step. I did
notice that when I changed the pane from a menu pane to a tab pane, the
<skin> tag was missing. Perhaps others were missing too, I just could not
get my mind around the <xml> pattern to see what was lost when I changed the
pane types.

Is this a bug? Has anyone else reproduced it? Was it reported before and I
just missed it in my search of the archives (in which case I apologize)?

TIA,
Steve B.