Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com> on 2003/12/29 15:53:07 UTC

Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

I can't seem to be able to send any mail to some places like yahoo.com or
abuse.net.  They remain in my outgoing folder.

Error messages are always of the following nature:

29/12/03 08:18:13 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Attempting delivery
of Mail1072703892625-2-to-yahoo.com to host yahoo.com to addresses
[mytest@yahoo.com]
29/12/03 08:18:36 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary exception
delivering mail (Mail1072703892625-2-to-yahoo.com:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: yahoo.com,
port: 25;
   nested exception is:
	java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:911)
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:158)
	at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:233)
	at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:134)
	at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:86)
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.connect(SMTPTransport.java:95)
	at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDelivery.java:305)
	at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.run(RemoteDelivery.java:758)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

29/12/03 08:18:36 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Storing message
Mail1072703892625-2-to-yahoo.com into outgoing after 0 retries

I can send mail to some places but not others.  I am using authentication
and have increased the timeout parameter to something LARGE.  I am also
using Network Solutions for DNS management.  Would that cause a problem?

Can anyone point me to some place in config.xml that would matter to Yahoo
but not to others?

Thanks for any ideas.

Rich Downing

Re: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.
> What type of machine are you running James on?  Can you try to do the
> following on the actual server running James..

James is running on a Win2 machine.

Folliwing (between the "-----" is what I get:

-----
> nslookup
Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

** vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net can't find nslookup: Non-existent domain
> set type=mx
> yahoo.com
Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

Non-authoritative answer:
yahoo.com       MX preference = 1, mail exchanger = mx2.mail.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx4.mail.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       MX preference = 1, mail exchanger = mx1.mail.yahoo.com
-----

> 2) then.. try telneting to port 25 on some of the hosts listed in the
> results from the previous nslookup query.
> example:  telnet mx1.yahoo.com 25

This is what I got:

-----
> telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
Unrecognized command: telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
> telnet mx2.yahoo.com 25
Unrecognized command: telnet mx2.yahoo.com 25
-----

Rich

Re: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.
What type of machine are you running James on?  Can you try to do the
following on the actual server running James..

1) use nslookup or dig util from the server running james to see if you
can determine the MX records for yahoo.com
with nslookup:
nslookup <enter>
set type=mx <enter>
yahoo.com. <enter>

Do you receive a response with all of the Yahoo MX records listed?

2) then.. try telneting to port 25 on some of the hosts listed in the
results from the previous nslookup query.
example:  telnet mx1.yahoo.com 25

Do you connect and receive a SMTP status open?

Cj

rvd wrote:

>> Seems like he does have DNS configured.  Since he can email some
>> domains..
>>
>> Do you have other DNS servers that you can try in your config?
>> Instead of Network Solutions?  Was not even aware that NetSol would
>> allow you to use their DNS for recursive queries..
>>
>> Cj
>>

> Unfortunately, no.  My DNS was on Burlee (aquired by Interland) who
> also hosted my website.  I thought I would host my website myself, and
> also email so that I could keep my domain's email addresses.
>
> In checking for this kind of problem in newsgroups etc, it seems that
> others have had this same difficulty with Yahoo.  I don't know if they
> were hosting their own DNS or not.  Seems to me that it must be
> something simple and that I'm just being dense.  Unfortunately it is
> not just Yahoo.  Don't have a clue.
>
> Rich
>
> rvd@netrocam.com

Corey A. Johnson
Creative Network Innovations
http://www.cniweb.net/
1-800-CNi-5547 ** 1-321-259-1984

RE: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
The complaints appear to be about open proxy support, rather than your James
configuration.  I have not looked into them further.

	--- Noel

Re: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.
> Also, you're going to want to do something about the fact that
> netrocam.com
> is in several of major block lists:
> http://www.openrbl.org/ip/209/186/187/218.htm

Hmmmm.  Didn't know about this.  How do I get them off the block lists?  I
think I have any spam relay issues addressed, and am using authentication.

Rich

RE: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I thought I would host my website myself, and also
> email so that I could keep my domain's email addresses.

Contact your upstream provider, and ask them for a the IP address(es) of the
DNS server(s) they provide.  You might also ask if they provide an SMTP
relay, which you could use as a gateway.

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.
> Rich - can you send the <dnsserver> block from your config.xml?
>
> I do feel that is may be related to using NetSol DNS... instead of
> local... but still seems odd that most other domains work...

Dnsserver bloc is shown below: (The ip addresses were given to me by
Network Solutions)

    <dnsserver>
       <servers>
<!-- CONFIRM? -->
         <!--Enter ip address of your DNS server, one IP address per server
-->
         <!-- element.  The default configuration assumes a DNS server on
the localhost. -->
          <server>216.168.225.173</server>
          <server>216.168.225.174</server>
       </servers>
       <authoritative>false</authoritative>
    </dnsserver>

Rich

RE: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> You are touchy!  Relax man.

I am relaxed.  Just rushed, so perhaps overly terse.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.
Agreed.  Never meant that it would not be an issue with the DNS servers
he was using.

You are touchy!  Relax man.

Cj

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
rvd wrote:
> Those were the dns server addresses given me by Network Solutions.  Are
> they somehow not valid? Or just valid for emailing some domains but not
> others?

The people who run the DNS servers that resolve your domain do not want
to handle every other domain, which is what you're asking them to do by
resolving yahoo.com.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.
> Seems Rich is using root servers.
>
> Rich - can you not use the same DNS servers that you have in your TCP/IP
> settings for you PC/Server?

YEP, that did it!!!  I was using the wrong set of DNS servers.
Finally!!!!!  I appreciate your taking the time to help me out --
everybody else too.

Thanks again!

Rich

Re: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.
Seems Rich is using root servers.

Rich - can you not use the same DNS servers that you have in your TCP/IP
settings for you PC/Server?

i noticed that when you did the nslookup.. your machine was using a
different DNS server.  this is from your previous email response:

nslookup
Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

So amend your config.xml like so:

<dnsserver>
      <servers>
<!-- CONFIRM? -->
        <!--Enter ip address of your DNS server, one IP address per
server -->
        <!-- element.  The default configuration assumes a DNS server on
the localhost. -->
         <server>4.2.2.1</server>
      </servers>
      <authoritative>false</authoritative>
   </dnsserver>

And see if that helps?

Cj

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.
> Your website doesn't initiate any connections; it just sits there waiting
> for a connection from the outside world. James initiates connections so
> you  need a different dns server. You can find the proper dns servers to
> use by  right clicking on the LAN connection in your system tray and
> selecting
> status, then click on the support tab, then the details button. You'll
> find the dns servers listed near the bottom.
>
> -randy

That did the trick.  THANKS.

I didn't realize that I needed to use the DNS addresses from my cable
provider.  I thought I needed the ones from Network Solutions which
resolve the domain name for my web site.

Thanks to everyone else too for chiming in.

Rich

RE: Problems sending email to Yahoo & some others

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.

Posted by rvd <rv...@netrocam.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.
But he can email most others.. so i tend to disagree.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.