Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/08/06 09:14:02 UTC

Meet BlueOrangutan

All,

Meet blueorangutan [1], a Github bot account that will help us automate CloudStack (PR) testing [2][3] among other things.

It works by polling Github notifications for the apache/cloudstack repository every minutes and then reacts to comments. We can post comments on a apache/cloudstack PR and ask @blueorangutan to perform certain build jobs such as building packages, then running Trillian [2] tests (across a set of hypervisors) using those packages, and finally report us the results.

Since, the task of building packages and testing them are expensive. A typical packaging job may take up to 30 minutes, a typical Trillian [2][3] environment can take about 30 minutes to build/deploy a zone, and a Trillian (smoke) test run may take hours while an exhaustive Trillian (component+smoke) test run may take 3-4 days. Due to these reasons, for now the '@blueorangutan test' task is restricted to a selected Github users (my colleagues at ShapeBlue). Running Trillian test for each PR may be expensive, we may consider batching smaller thoroughly reviewed PRs, then create packages for a set of PRs and test them all at once as well.

The task to build (centos6, centos7, debian) packages is relatively less expensive and anyone can request blueorangutan to build packages now by commenting '@blueorangutan package' on a PR.

The great blue ape aims to be a quite friendly and polite bot, go on any apache/cloudstack PR and try:

'@blueorangutan hello'

Or, build package for a PR:

'@blueorangutan package'

Or, if it helps you build packages you may say:

'@blueorangutan thanks'

This is an experiment and I hope to improve this over time, any feedback and comments are welcome.

[1] https://github.com/blueorangutan

[2] http://www.shapeblue.com/trillian-flexible-on-demand-individual-cloud-environment-creation/

[3] http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-test-automation-with-trillian-and-jenkins/

Regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Meet BlueOrangutan

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 6 augustus 2016 om 11:14 schreef Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> All,
>

> Meet blueorangutan [1], a Github bot account that will help us automate CloudStack (PR) testing [2][3] among other things.
>

> It works by polling Github notifications for the apache/cloudstack repository every minutes and then reacts to comments. We can post comments on a apache/cloudstack PR and ask @blueorangutan to perform certain build jobs such as building packages, then running Trillian [2] tests (across a set of hypervisors) using those packages, and finally report us the results.
>

> Since, the task of building packages and testing them are expensive. A typical packaging job may take up to 30 minutes, a typical Trillian [2][3] environment can take about 30 minutes to build/deploy a zone, and a Trillian (smoke) test run may take hours while an exhaustive Trillian (component+smoke) test run may take 3-4 days. Due to these reasons, for now the '@blueorangutan test' task is restricted to a selected Github users (my colleagues at ShapeBlue). Running Trillian test for each PR may be expensive, we may consider batching smaller thoroughly reviewed PRs, then create packages for a set of PRs and test them all at once as well.

What do you need in additional resources? Building packages for example can be done very easily in Docker containers. I can provide resources for that if needed. No problem!

Re: Meet BlueOrangutan

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Rohit

On 08/06/2016 11:14 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:

> Meet blueorangutan [1], a Github bot account that will help us automate CloudStack (PR) testing [2][3] among other things.

Pretty cool. I like this progress. Well done!

> It works by polling Github notifications for the apache/cloudstack repository every minutes and then reacts to comments. We can post comments on a apache/cloudstack PR and ask @blueorangutan to perform certain build jobs such as building packages, then running Trillian [2] tests (across a set of hypervisors) using those packages, and finally report us the results.
>

> Since, the task of building packages and testing them are expensive. A typical packaging job may take up to 30 minutes, a typical Trillian [2][3] environment can take about 30 minutes to build/deploy a zone, and a Trillian (smoke) test run may take hours while an exhaustive Trillian (component+smoke) test run may take 3-4 days. Due to these reasons, for now the '@blueorangutan test' task is restricted to a selected Github users (my colleagues at ShapeBlue). Running Trillian test for each PR may be expensive, we may consider batching smaller thoroughly reviewed PRs, then create packages for a set of PRs and test them all at once as well.

You mentioned "expensive", are there any plans to distribute the
workloads across whoever likes to provide some workload capacity?

Since trillian works on top of cloudstack and vmware, the only
requirement would be a similar environment and providing user account
access, right?

However to make it even more flexible, I would prefer a jenkins
master/slaves setup, in which you would configure slaves like fully
working trillian workers in the local environments.

Thinking a bit further how to make it as easy as possible for users, a
docker image containing the setup of jenkins having the job configured
and all necessary dependencies (ansible, cs, cloudmonkey) independend of
the docker host OS would be an option.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Rene

Re: Meet BlueOrangutan

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Rene, Wido and Rajani for the feedback.

Once we can have the system working as we wanted, we will publish wiki/docs on how we can collaboratively setup our own test environments that can be used in some federated way to distribute build-test load. Trillian is already open and our current infra uses the same repo (i.e. there is no secrets or fork) as anyone else can: https://github.com/shapeblue/Trillian

For now, I've added a restriction to allow only our RMs to build packages etc. The build bot and its background infra is an experiment, and likely to change its vocabulary as well.

Regards.
________________________________
This is great. Thanks for all the hardwork Rohit. Will start using it.

~Rajani
http://cloudplatform.accelerite.com/

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com