Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by JE...@mb.bluecross.ca on 2004/09/17 21:05:51 UTC

performance problem

I have an apache/tomcat environment that is experiencing performance
problems.

My production environment has apache on one win2k box, and the two tomcat
instances on another win 2k box.

When I load test the my application directly against either of the tomcat
instances, I get about 150 req/s. When I test with apache in front, I get
10 req/s. This was with apache server temporarily placed on same network
segment as tomcat box.

I recreated the production setup on a couple of developer workstations
(slightly slower hardware than the production environment), and got > 70
req/s.

Apache and tomcat conf files are essentially identical in both
environments.

Does anyone have any clues?

RE: performance problem

Posted by Mike Curwen <g_...@globallyboundless.com>.
Hmm...
http://www.greenfieldresearch.ca/technical/jk2_config.html

Reading that, look for the one line in red font.  Seems there's potential
config problems when apache and tomcat are on separate boxes, as they need
to share a file. You'd think this would prevent operation, rather than
slowing it down , so perhaps it's not related.

We use similar architecture, but JK (which doesn't seem to require that
shared file).