Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Joshua Allen <ja...@cogeco.ca> on 2002/12/01 01:41:28 UTC

contributing to project

There were no responses to my request of getting this task in Ant.  The docs are vague about the process of how a non-committer can
get something into the CVS tree.  Is there one?

http://phosphor.sf.net/import-scrubber-3.0.0.zip

The unit tests & docs have been already been written.

-Joshua

Re: contributing to project

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Joshua Allen wrote:
> Although I won't need to, cvs won't let you add a new file to the project--even if it's just to create a diff file.  So
> contributions from non-committers seem to be limited to modifying existing files only.

But having a "diff" of a new file doesn't make sense.  The way new files
are handled are that folks submit the new files along with patches for
the existing files, ideally to Bugzilla as attachments.

	Erik

Re: contributing to project

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Joshua Allen <ja...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Although I won't need to, cvs won't let you add a new file to the
> project--even if it's just to create a diff file.

You can trick CVS into thinking you've added a file simply by adding a
line like

/foo/0/dummy timestamp//

to CVS/Entries manually.  Here CVS would assume you had added a file
foo and will happily do a cvs diff -u for you.

ISTR there was a suit of scripts that helped to deal with issues like
that (i.e. a cvsadd script that did just what I've described above).
I've lost the link, sorry.

> So contributions from non-committers seem to be limited to modifying
> existing files only.

You can always send in a file (or an archive) in addition to your
patch and tell us where to add the file(s).

Stefan

RE: contributing to project

Posted by Joshua Allen <ja...@cogeco.ca>.
Conor,

Yeah, I'll consider a new name.  Actually this project grew out of frustration with other utilities that attempted to do did this,
the sf one you mentioned included.  (I'd use them on a large project (100-300 classes) and then it wouldn't compile w/o having to
fix certain things they had done manually.  Also, there was no way to reverse what they had done for easier maintenance.)

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Joshua,

RE: contributing to project

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> There were no responses to my request of getting this task in Ant.  The
docs are vague about the process of how a non-committer can
> get something into the CVS tree.  Is there one?

there is in the ant task guidelines

> http://phosphor.sf.net/import-scrubber-3.0.0.zip

If something lives in sforge, we are usually happy for it to stay there,
with doc links from the ant web site and docs. So if you edit the
appropriate files in xdocs, submit the changes as a PATCH we'll point to
you.
Unless you can convince us it is so compelling and critical to all ant users
that we should take on the maintenance and support, which will be hard.

-steve