Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander Diedler <ad...@tecracer.de> on 2011/12/09 12:54:51 UTC

Multiple Tomcats on the Machine

Hello

We have three instances of Tomcat on a Windows Server and want to access on
every instance several applications through the Manager app.

In every /Catalina/[hostname]/manager.xml is

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"

         privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
antiJARLocking="false">

</Context>

Could it be a problem, that the catalina.home only can point to one location
and this could occour some errors?

What is the best practices?

Alex

Re: Multiple Tomcats on the Machine

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
> On 09/12/2011 11:54, Alexander Diedler wrote:
>>  Hello
>>
>>  We have three instances of Tomcat on a Windows Server and want to access
>>  on every instance several applications through the Manager app.
>>
>>  In every /Catalina/[hostname]/manager.xml is
>>
>>  <Context docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"
>>
>>           privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
>>  antiJARLocking="false">
>>
>>  </Context>
>>
>>  Could it be a problem, that the catalina.home only can point to one
>>  location and this could occour some errors?
>
> When any application is shared by multiple running Tomcats, you could
> run into errors, yes.  I wouldn't like to guess what they'd be - but the
> manager app is fairly simple so you might get away with it.
>

>>  What is the best practices?
>
> Don't share the application!
>
> Disk space is cheap, the application is small.  Just make a copy & put
> it in the ${catalina.base}/webapps (or wherever the appBase is).

+1

> Alex

Alex,

It sounds like you're running multiple virtual hosts from one Tomcat instance. At least that's the clue I get from the following line:

 In every /Catalina/[hostname]/manager.xml is

I'm guessing you meant %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\Catalina\[hostname]\manager.xml ?

There's an article on the Tomcat Wiki that describes a setup with virtual hosts. One of the issues it covers is the manager application.

The article: http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/TomcatDevelopmentVirtualHosts

It's a bit dated, but I think still accurate.

The key is to create a manager application for each virtual host. This means you'll copy the manager application over to each virtual host's appBase, and the manager.xml context file is then just a copy of what is currently shipped with Tomcat.

As Pid has said, disk space is cheap, so creating completely separate virtual hosts is the cleanest way to accomplish this.

I've set up systems like this for production, and it seems to work quite well.

just my two cents . . . .
/mde/

Re: Multiple Tomcats on the Machine

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.