Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Axel Sachmann <ax...@axita.de> on 2003/07/09 18:01:42 UTC

Performance Question about Tiles Plugin

Hi,

i am new in Tiles and i have some Questions!

After i use the tiles-plugin with a external tile-defs file - the start
of my frontpage (standard and colum layout) is very slow. It's about 3-4
times slower than with static - html. How can i improve performance with
the tiles plugin?

Thanks for your help!

Axel Sachmann

Re: Performance Question about Tiles Plugin

Posted by Axel Sachmann <ax...@axita.de>.
Yann Cébron wrote:

>>i am using Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14 with jdk 1.4.1_02 on a red hat
>>9.0 standard installation
>

>>Did you know a good resource for setup Tomcat parameters? How much
>>memory for the jvm?
>

> Start by browsing
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/index.html

I will take a look!

> or crawl through the tomcat-users archive.. I don't have any specific
> recommendations - it largely depends on your webapps/load/number of
> users/hardware config etc.
>
> Can you verify the performance impact on e.g. a parallel
> WINDOWS-installation? I have several applications using Tiles (on WIN and
> *NIX) - no problems or special configurations had to be made..
>

>>here is the tiles-defs.xml
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
>>
> [.....]
>
>></tiles-definitions>
>>

> I was expecting a more complicated tiles-defs with several orders of
> inheritance - this simple setup should definately *not* affect the
> user-performance.

It is the first setup - sorry ....

Posted by Yann C�bron <ya...@yahoo.de>.
> i am using Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14 with jdk 1.4.1_02 on a red hat
> 9.0 standard installation

> Did you know a good resource for setup Tomcat parameters? How much
> memory for the jvm?

Start by browsing
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/index.html

or crawl through the tomcat-users archive.. I don't have any specific
recommendations - it largely depends on your webapps/load/number of
users/hardware config etc.

Can you verify the performance impact on e.g. a parallel
WINDOWS-installation? I have several applications using Tiles (on WIN and
*NIX) - no problems or special configurations had to be made..

> here is the tiles-defs.xml

[.....]

Posted by Axel Sachmann <ax...@axita.de>.
Yann Cébron wrote:

> Using Tiles should not give you a noticeably performance decrease (at least
> not after having started the application), unless your
> servlet-container/server is setup incorrectly. What
> servlet-container/version are you using? If you're on Tomcat you'll notice a
> massive performance improvement using the latest 4.1.x version.
hi

i am using Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14 with jdk 1.4.1_02 on a red hat
9.0 standard installation.

Did you know a good resource for setup Tomcat parameters? How much
memory for the jvm?

here is the tiles-defs.xml

  <!DOCTYPE tiles-definitions PUBLIC
        "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Tiles Configuration 1.1//EN"
        "http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/tiles-config_1_1.dtd">

<!-- Definitions for Tiles  -->
<!--
   This file contains definitions common to all struts module.
   In particular, it contains the main layout and the common menus.
   There is also the main page as a portal.
-->

<tiles-definitions>

   <!-- =======================================================  -->
   <!-- Master definition  									-->
   <!-- =======================================================  -->

   <!-- Profiit - globaler Bereich   -->
   <definition name="global-profiit" path="/layout/classicLayout.jsp">
	  <put name="title"  value="Profiit" />
	  <put name="header" value="/common/header.jsp" />
	  <put name="menu"   value="profiit.mainmenu.links" />
	  <put name="footer" value="/common/footer.jsp" />
	  <put name="body"   value="global-content" />
   </definition>

   <!-- =======================================================  -->
   <!-- Main page body definitions  									-->
   <!-- =======================================================  -->

   <definition name="global-content" path="/layout/columnsLayout.jsp">
     <put name="numCols" value="1" />
     <putList name="list0" >
      <add value="/freelancer/f_login_main.jsp" />
      </putList>
   </definition>

   <!-- =======================================================  -->
   <!-- Menus definitions  									-->
   <!-- =======================================================  -->

   <!-- Menuestest von Gomez -->
   <!-- Examples main menu definition -->
<definition name="profiit.mainmenu.links" path="/layouts/menu.jsp">
   <put name="title" 	value="Profiit Menue" />
   <putList name="items" >
   <item value="Anmeldung
Freiberufler"link="/freelancer/f_login_main.jsp" />
   <item value="New Profile"    link="/freelancer/f_new_profile.jsp" />
     </putList>
</definition>

</tiles-definitions>

Posted by Yann C�bron <ya...@yahoo.de>.