Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM> on 2010/02/16 18:30:19 UTC

webconsole and "Importing Bundles"

When I look at the details about a bundle using Felix web console (I am
on version 2.0.6), I see some entries under the header "Importing
Bundles," which I don't understand. To give an example, for bundle #77,
I see the following:

Imported Packages: javax.security.jacc, version=1.4.0 from
org.glassfish.javax.security.jacc (38)

So, I am hoping to see bundle #77 being listed as an "Importing Bundle"
for 38, but I don't see it. For #38, I see the following importing bundles:

Importing Bundles: org.glassfish.ejb.ejb-container (207)
org.glassfish.security (53)

Is this a bug in the way "Importing Bundles" are calculated? If not, how
do I interpret "Importing Bundles?"

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: webconsole and "Importing Bundles"

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17.02.2010 15:47, Sahoo wrote:
>
>> Felix Meschberger wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sahoo,

>>> You are correct in your assumptions about what the correspondence of
>>> "Imported Packages" and "Importing Bundles" means - at least this is the
>>> idea/design behind the implementation.
>>>
>>> Unless there really is a bug (I do not exclude this possibilty at all),
>>> I can see only one reason: If bundle #77 is not resolved, the imports
>>> and exports are hypothetical in that "Imported Package" list is built
>>> from the Import-Package statement and the PackageAdmin service is asked
>>> for a potential import.
>>>
>>> Since the bundle is not resolved, the framework has no actual wire and
>>> thus the provider bundle has no importer listed.
>>>
>>> Or could it be that there are any un-refreshed bundle updates ? (this is
>>> wild guessing, of course).
>>>

>> You are right - bundle #77 is in INSTALLED state. It would be less
>> confusing to not show any wires for such a bundle IMO.
>>

> We found this to be quite interesting, in that it allows to easily spot
> unsatisified imports, so I would rather like to keep this functionality.
>
> What I could think of being useful would be to use a different label,
> maybe ? What do you think ?

Now that I understand how to interpret the values, it makes sense to me,
and I agree the information is useful for INSTALLED bundle as you described.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 17.02.2010 15:47, Sahoo wrote:
> Felix Meschberger wrote:
>> Hi Sahoo,
>>
>> On 16.02.2010 18:30, Sahoo wrote:
>>
>>> When I look at the details about a bundle using Felix web console (I am
>>> on version 2.0.6), I see some entries under the header "Importing
>>> Bundles," which I don't understand. To give an example, for bundle #77,
>>> I see the following:
>>>
>>> Imported Packages: javax.security.jacc, version=1.4.0 from
>>> org.glassfish.javax.security.jacc (38)
>>>
>>> So, I am hoping to see bundle #77 being listed as an "Importing Bundle"
>>> for 38, but I don't see it. For #38, I see the following importing
>>> bundles:
>>>
>>> Importing Bundles: org.glassfish.ejb.ejb-container (207)
>>> org.glassfish.security (53)
>>>
>>> Is this a bug in the way "Importing Bundles" are calculated? If not, how
>>> do I interpret "Importing Bundles?"
>>>

>> You are correct in your assumptions about what the correspondence of
>> "Imported Packages" and "Importing Bundles" means - at least this is the
>> idea/design behind the implementation.
>>
>> Unless there really is a bug (I do not exclude this possibilty at all),
>> I can see only one reason: If bundle #77 is not resolved, the imports
>> and exports are hypothetical in that "Imported Package" list is built
>> from the Import-Package statement and the PackageAdmin service is asked
>> for a potential import.
>>
>> Since the bundle is not resolved, the framework has no actual wire and
>> thus the provider bundle has no importer listed.
>>
>> Or could it be that there are any un-refreshed bundle updates ? (this is
>> wild guessing, of course).
>>
> You are right - bundle #77 is in INSTALLED state. It would be less
> confusing to not show any wires for such a bundle IMO.

We found this to be quite interesting, in that it allows to easily spot
unsatisified imports, so I would rather like to keep this functionality.

What I could think of being useful would be to use a different label,
maybe ? What do you think ?

Regards
Felix

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.