Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Richard Martin <rm...@essex.ac.uk> on 2004/04/01 14:46:00 UTC

WS-Adressing issue

Hi WS-Addressing developers!

I've come across a slight problem while trying to implement
WS-Addressing. I'm very hesitant to call this a bug as I don't have the
knowledge to make that judgement so I thought I'd run the problem by you.

Within the WS-Addressing package is a ShortTutorial.txt (very helpful,
thankyou!). This contains a code snippet with a method which sets up
most of the Addressing headers, specifically the Action header (which is
set to urn:action). By using this method I managed to get a very simple
HelloWorld web service working using Addressing, and have verified using
tcpmon that the correct SOAPHeader elements are being sent (and recieved).

However, when the Action header is not created (specifically in the case
of the generated Stubs), this causes AddressingHeaders.getAction() to
return null in the AddressingHandler, which in turn causes the
AddressingHandler to attempt to create an Action Header from
MessageContext.getSOAPActionURI() which returns an empty String ("").
This is because, within the stub classes, the soapAction is set as:
_call.setSOAPActionURL(""). The result is an exception complaining about
the empty string.

My question is threefold.

First of all, am I doing anything wrong? If so please tell me and ignore
the next questions!

Second of all, is the setting of the soapAction to "" within stubs
desireable? or is it required to conform with a specification? (perhaps
this is better for the axis-dev group).

Third of all: within the context of WS-Addressing, given that the Action
header cannot be generated from the soapAction for stubs (or indeed for
non-stub clients when Call.setSOAPActionURL() has not been called), what
should be done when there is no user-specified Action header element?
Should there be a default (perhaps "urn:action" as used in the
ShortTutorial ?)

Regards,

Richard

Re: WS-Adressing issue

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Does your WSDL explicitly sets the soap action to ""?

<soap:operation soapAction=""/>

thanks,
dims

=====