Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Charles Li <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/25 05:28:34 UTC

Tool to build model from scratch

Hi, Jena experts:

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but please allow me
to try:

We have a project that we are going to build the Semantic model from
scratch. Eventually we are going to use Apache Jena to query and update the
model. What tool(s) do you recommend to build the model from scratch?

Thanks a lot!
- Charles

Re: Tool to build model from scratch

Posted by Holger Knublauch <ho...@knublauch.com>.
TopBraid Composer [1] is an RDF/OWL editor and has a Free Edition. This
is an Eclipse-based "desktop" system with support for TDB, SDB etc.

TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net [2] is a web-based editor of RDF/OWL
classes and instances (and SKOS). You can try EVN from TopBraid Composer ME.

All TopBraid products are based on Jena.

Disclaimer: I work on both tools for my employer TopQuadrant.

BTW a good place for such (rather general) questions is also
http://answers.semanticweb.com/

HTH
Holger

[1] http://www.topquadrant.com/products/TB_Composer.html
[2] http://www.topquadrant.com/solutions/ent_vocab_net.html

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@graphity.org>.
Charles,

you can try Graphity for UI building:
https://github.com/Graphity/graphity-browser

It transforms RDF/XML to (X)HTML using modular XSLT templates, and
includes default generic layout as well as specialized stylehseets for
vocabularies such as GoodRelations (which should be useful for PIM).

It uses the same approach for input interfaces and encodes RDF in
standard HTML form inputs using RDF/POST:
http://www.lsrn.org/semweb/rdfpost.html

It also functions as general-purpose Linked Data platform/framework.

Martynas
graphityhq.com

Re: Re: Tool to build model from scratch

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.
On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 08:58:35 AM Charles Li wrote:

> We are developing a product catalog application, which keeps descriptions
> about product and product relationships attributes. This is an effort to
> build from scratch, which means that we will let a group of users to
> manually enter product information. I understand eventually we will have to
> build a GUI customized to our needs, but is there any general-purpose
> RDF/OWL tool that we can quickly leverage to start with. We are still fuzzy
> on exactly what kinds of semantic functionality we actually need, but a
> tool to help us to manually input RDF triples to a Jena datastore would be
> good.

What would it do that writing models in Turtle and reading them
into TDB wouldn't? That gives you a baseline.

(No, I wouldn't recommend writing RDF/XML by hand, or reading it
 with human eyes.)

Chris

--
"I know it was late, but Mountjoy never bothers,                /Archer's Goon/
 so long as it's the full two thousand words."

Epimorphics Ltd, http://www.epimorphics.com
Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT
Epimorphics Ltd. is a limited company registered in England (number 7016688)

Re: Tool to build model from scratch

Posted by Pete Cumberland <pe...@mac.com>.
Hi Andreas,

I think I'm one of the end-users Andrea refers to :) He built my prototype application a few weeks back (thanks Andrea!)

I'm not a developer, but found Protege a great tool for experimenting. I like the fact you have everything in one place - modelling, inferencing, SPARQL and DL queries and lots useful plugins.

For individuals, I've been using a carefully formatted spreadsheet in OpenOffice to transform them into a Turtle (.ttl) file to import directly into Fuseki from the command line (using s-put) Turtle is a easy format to create this way.

It's a temporary solution, but a great way for a non-technical newbie like me to learn and experment.

Pete

Posted by Andrea Splendiani <an...@deri.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Andreas Grünwald <a....@gmail.com>.