Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/29 05:44:35 UTC

ASF and Healthcare initiative

Hi community!

I would like to share with you an idea that I am thinking about lately.

The idea is to create a project around Healthcare and ASF projects: As you
know, the world of health and big data are increasingly related, with
international initiatives to take advantage of massive data processing in
the health sector.

This project/initiative could be a site (healthcare.apache.org  and a
mailing list healthcare@apache.org). The site would be an information site
about:

1. ASF projects directly related with healthcare such as ctakes.apache.org,
uima.apache.org
ASF projects with components useful for the health sector:
opennlp.apache.org, solr.apache.org, nifi.apache.org (HL7 processors
family), beam.apache.org (Google Cloud Healthcare HL7v2 API) and so forth.
2. References architectures for healthcare sector (based on ASF projects).
3. Entry point for all content related to ASF and Healthcare (past
presentations about CTakes in the ApacheCon @Home 2020).

Focusing attention on the health sector, it would be an opportunity to give
visibility to the ASF projects and how open source and Apache Way can help
in something as universal as health (especially at the time when we are
living on world alert). Other benefits, from my point of view, would be:

1. Attract new projects in the Incubator, there are many open source
projects related to health.
2. Get new sponsors and donations (even from the public sector).
3. Lead a global movement towards something as relevant as improving global
health using technology as openly as possible.

What do you think? I know this is not a new software project, it is an
initiative (something similar to iot@apache.org, or training.apache.org).
--
Javi Roman

Twitter: @javiromanrh
GitHub: github.com/javiroman
Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info

Fwd: ASF and Healthcare initiative

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
Probably this family (cTakes) is interested in this discussion I'm
proposing. Please contribute if you are interested!

Many thanks!

Re: ASF and Healthcare initiative

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 7:45 AM Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...This project/initiative could be a site (healthcare.apache.org  and a
> mailing list healthcare@apache.org)....

I thought about this again and it might make sense to generalize and
provide space for such webpages under community.apache.org/c, see the
"Comdev web pages for our communities of interests" thread that I just
started on this list.

That would be for a homepage for such an initiative, and a mailing
list can be created by any of the PMCs involved in the initiative via
https://selfserve.apache.org/ and listed on that homepage.

-Bertrand

Re: ASF and Healthcare initiative

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi Javi,

Not sure if it’s allowed to have that domain but I like your idea as well!

Count me in!

Giovanni De Stefano <gi...@servisoft.be>于2021年4月29日 周四下午6:32写道:

> Hello Javi,
>
> That’s a brilliant idea!
>
> I have been working for telco and fintech for years, but the COVID
> situation triggered some profound questions such as “is there a way I could
> help?”.
>
> Perhaps joining your initiative may help me answer that question 😊
>
> Count me in!
>
> Cheers,
> Giovanni
>

> From: Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>
> Date: Thursday, 29 April 2021 at 07:45
> To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
> Subject: ASF and Healthcare initiative
> Hi community!
>
> I would like to share with you an idea that I am thinking about lately.
>
> The idea is to create a project around Healthcare and ASF projects: As you
> know, the world of health and big data are increasingly related, with
> international initiatives to take advantage of massive data processing in
> the health sector.
>
> This project/initiative could be a site (healthcare.apache.org  and a
> mailing list healthcare@apache.org). The site would be an information site
> about:
>
> 1. ASF projects directly related with healthcare such as ctakes.apache.org
> ,
> uima.apache.org
> ASF projects with components useful for the health sector:
> opennlp.apache.org, solr.apache.org, nifi.apache.org (HL7 processors
> family), beam.apache.org (Google Cloud Healthcare HL7v2 API) and so forth.
> 2. References architectures for healthcare sector (based on ASF projects).
> 3. Entry point for all content related to ASF and Healthcare (past
> presentations about CTakes in the ApacheCon @Home 2020).
>
> Focusing attention on the health sector, it would be an opportunity to give
> visibility to the ASF projects and how open source and Apache Way can help
> in something as universal as health (especially at the time when we are
> living on world alert). Other benefits, from my point of view, would be:
>
> 1. Attract new projects in the Incubator, there are many open source
> projects related to health.
> 2. Get new sponsors and donations (even from the public sector).
> 3. Lead a global movement towards something as relevant as improving global
> health using technology as openly as possible.
>
> What do you think? I know this is not a new software project, it is an
> initiative (something similar to iot@apache.org, or training.apache.org).
> --
> Javi Roman
>
> Twitter: @javiromanrh
> GitHub: github.com/javiroman
> Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
> Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info

--
来自 琚致远

Re: ASF and Healthcare initiative

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
I would like to know, as a key point of this discussion, whether the
creation of at least a mailing list to discuss this issue is something that
is aligned with the objectives of the ASF.
From my point of view, a mailing list is somewhat innocuous from a resource
point of view, but it is important from the point of view of whether it is
an allowable line of work in the ASF.

This is nothing more than creating an open source community focused on a
particular field (as in the past has been created for IoT). It may turn out
that the outcome of the discussions on that mailing list is that it doesn't
make sense to create a dedicated space for healthcare, or it may turn out
that it makes a lot of sense and in the end we are creating communities
that are more about a particular software and more focused on creating
software architectures, where the sum of the parts is more than each of
them.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 3 May 2021 at 13:15, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> Fwiw I think creating content in a wiki and then having to move and
> reformat and redirect that content seems like an unnecessary duplication of
> work. I'm unclear why you'd want to do this work twice.
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2021, 08:31 sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I suggest these resources are requested under the community.a.o project.
> >

> What? Why? That's not where anyone is going to look for this.

Because it is a community matter.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
I like the idea: +1

I am working as a research associate in the medical informatics domain
in Germany. Consequently, I like the idea of giving healthcare-related
ASF a specific place to be (more) visible.

Gruss
Richard

Am Montag, den 03.05.2021, 22:32 +0800 schrieb Willem Jiang:
> My big +1.
> I think it is a great idea that we can bring the efforts from
> different Apache projects together to tackle a certain domain
> specific
> problem.
>
> Willem Jiang
>
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 3:41 PM Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Sebb, that's a good idea, the wiki space could be a beginning.
> >
> > I'm going to request (INFRA) a Wiki space for this initiative:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HEALTH/Home
> >
> > and a mailing list for discussing:
> > health@apache.org
> >
> > Please let me know if I have your support to request these
> > resources from
> > INFRA (linking the JIRA tickets to this conversation).
> >
> > --
> > Javi Roman
> >
> > Twitter: @javiromanrh
> > GitHub: github.com/javiroman
> > Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
> > Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How about using the Wiki for collecting the information?
> > >
> > > Easier to set up and easy to maintain.
> > >
> > > If the content eventually outgrows the wiki it could be moved
> > > later
> > > (with redirects added).

> > > bdelacretaz@apache.org>

> > > VM

Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics

Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
Max-Planck-Str. 39
D-74081 Heilbronn
phone: +49 7131 504 6791 (zur Zeit nicht via Telefon erreichbar)
mail: richard.zowalla@hs-heilbronn.de
web: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

Re: ASF and Healthcare initiative

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
My big +1.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
My big +1.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 3:24 PM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> ...I would encourage you to
> talk with Infra, next, regarding the hostname, email address, and a VM
> to run a site on. I expect that if you have a few PMC members backing
> it, and don't expect Infra to provide you any services...

From an oversight point of view I think it's good for an existing PMC

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 4/29/21 1:44 AM, Javi Roman wrote:
> Hi community!
>
> I would like to share with you an idea that I am thinking about lately.
> What do you think? I know this is not a new software project, it is an
> initiative (something similar to iot@apache.org, or training.apache.org).

This sounds great, and something that can be done with very little
initial cost/effort/people to get it started. I would encourage you to
talk with Infra, next, regarding the hostname, email address, and a VM
to run a site on. I expect that if you have a few PMC members backing
it, and don't expect Infra to provide you any services, there'd be no
objection. (Just guessing though. I'm not the voice of Infra.)