Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2012/12/07 21:03:24 UTC

[Proposal] Update and merge User FAQ's from Web ite and mwiiki

Based on extended discussions on this list at:
http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results.
I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
into the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the
FAQ's already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and
version 2 and any duplications.

If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
from the website into the mwiki.

Regards
Keith N. Mckenna

Re: [Proposal] Update and merge User FAQ's from Web ite and mwiiki

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
> http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results.
> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
> into the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the
> FAQ's already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and
> version 2 and any duplications.
>
> If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
> from the website into the mwiki.
>
> Regards
> Keith N. Mckenna

Since the 72 hours has passed and I have seen no negative comments I
will begin to start culling through the FAQ's from the website and
adding the pertinent ones to new sections of the User FAQ's on the
mWiki. If anyone cares to help all assistance will be graciously accepted.

Regards
Keith

Re: [Proposal] Update and merge User FAQ's from Web ite and mwiiki

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 12/7/12, Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Keith N. McKenna
>> <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
>>> http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results.
>>> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
>>> into
>>> the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the FAQ's
>>> already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and version
>>> 2
>>> and any duplications.

Where will the final FAQ be? The one on mWiki seems to be the better
structure since it provides a search utility similar to the one on the
API library reference.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: [Proposal] Update and merge User FAQ's from Web ite and mwiiki

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Keith N. McKenna
<ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Keith N. McKenna
>> <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
>>>
>>> http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results.
>>> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
>>> into
>>> the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the FAQ's
>>> already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and version
>>> 2
>>> and any duplications.
>>>
>>> If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
>>> from
>>> the website into the mwiki.

+1, and THANK YOU!

>> +1.  I think there was general consensus that this was a good idea
>> from the discussion in the other thread.
>>
>> Thanks for volunteering to take the lead on this important task.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Keith N. Mckenna
>>>

> Rob;
>
> I believe there was general consensus in the other thread also, but since I
> am also proposing some major changes to the content and previous philosophy
> of the mwiki also I felt it appropriate to go this route.
>
> Regards
> Keith

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
 she wants, rather than to create it herself?”

     -- Anais Nin

Re: [Proposal] Update and merge User FAQ's from Web ite and mwiiki

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On 12/7/12, Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>
> Where will the final FAQ be? The one on mWiki seems to be the better
> structure since it provides a search utility similar to the one on the
> API library reference.

Alexandro;

My intent is to have the User FAQ's on the mWiki. Not only does it have
the search feature, but having it in the mWiki format I believe makes it
easier update and add new ones to.

Regards
Keith

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Update to merge of FAQ's from web site to mwiki

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 23 December 2012 19:31, Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net>wrote:

> Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>
>> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
>> http://markmail.org/search/+**list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-**
>> dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.**apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:**
>> 1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:**results<http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results>
>> .
>> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
>> into the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the
>> FAQ's already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and
>> version 2 and any duplications.
>>
>> If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
>> from the website into the mwiki.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith N. Mckenna
>>

>>  Good day all;
>
> Just a quick update to where this mini-project is. I have jut about
> finished all the modifications to the faqtoc on the mwiki. This is being
> done through a copy of the template file so as to avoid multiple saves to
> the template bringing the mwiki to its knees. Once the copy is finalized
> the changes will be made to the actual template file and saved once. Though
> tj has told me there should be no major performance hit by doing this I
> will schedule it probably over a weekend when usage is lower to (hopefully)
> minimize the hurt when Murphy inevitably bites.

I agree with tj, that is not a major burden for the mysql. Please be aware
that I am looking at moving wikitest to production before end of the
year...so please send me an e-mail directly, when you want to start
working, then I keep my hands off.

Jan I.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
>> http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results.
>>
>> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
>> into the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the
>> FAQ's already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and
>> version 2 and any duplications.
>>
>> If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
>> from the website into the mwiki.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith N. Mckenna
>>

> Good day all;
>
> Just a quick update to where this mini-project is. I have jut about
> finished all the modifications to the faqtoc on the mwiki. This is being
> done through a copy of the template file so as to avoid multiple saves
> to the template bringing the mwiki to its knees. Once the copy is
> finalized the changes will be made to the actual template file and saved
> once. Though tj has told me there should be no major performance hit by
> doing this I will schedule it probably over a weekend when usage is
> lower to (hopefully) minimize the hurt when Murphy inevitably bites.
>
> I came across the following page http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/FAQ
> that appears to be a sandbox that was started for developer FAQ's and
> then abandoned. There has been no development activity on it since 2009.
> Since many of the faq's on the web site are aimed towards developers, I
> would like to use this page as an index page for a number of different
> categories of developer faq's. I someone with a better knowledge and
> background in development could take a look at the page and if there is
> anything worth keeping let me know.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Evening All;

I wanted to get back to this. Due to a change in my daughter's schedule
my time was cut that I could spend on this as I babysit my 2 year old
granddaughter. Also medical issues with both myself and my significant
other have been sneaking in.

Work has not stopped, but it has slowed more than I had hoped. The
design work of adding new categories and hierarchy are done and work is
progressing slowly on the culling and rewording. I will be spending more
time on this in the next few weeks to try and get it moving quicker
again. Hopefully in the next few days redirect can be set on the some of
the categories on the web site to the wiki.

Regards
Keith

Re: Update to merge of FAQ's from web site to mwiki

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Keith N. McKenna <
> keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>
>>> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
>>> http://markmail.org/search/+**list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-**
>>> dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.**apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:**
>>> 1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:**results<http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results>
>>> .
>>> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
>>> into the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the
>>> FAQ's already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and
>>> version 2 and any duplications.
>>>
>>> If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
>>> from the website into the mwiki.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Keith N. Mckenna
>>>

>>>   Good day all;
>>
>> Just a quick update to where this mini-project is. I have jut about
>> finished all the modifications to the faqtoc on the mwiki. This is being
>> done through a copy of the template file so as to avoid multiple saves to
>> the template bringing the mwiki to its knees. Once the copy is finalized
>> the changes will be made to the actual template file and saved once. Though
>> tj has told me there should be no major performance hit by doing this I
>> will schedule it probably over a weekend when usage is lower to (hopefully)
>> minimize the hurt when Murphy inevitably bites.
>>

> Awesome news, I will be having some spare time this month and the next. I
> am still need to finalize the mediawiki theme, but I sure can help if you
> need any.

Alexandro;

It is good to hear that you will be willing to help. Many of the FAQ's
on the web site are geared towards developers on things like the XML
format and using the API. Though I can weed out the more obvious ones, I
will need help on the others as well re-wording to reflect the realities
of today's environment. Programming and software development are not my
forte.

Keith

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Update to merge of FAQ's from web site to mwiki

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 23 December 2012 21:29, Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net>wrote:

> janI wrote:
>
>> On 23 December 2012 19:31, Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net>**
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>>
>>>  Based on extended discussions on this list at:

>>> Just a quick update to where this mini-project is. I have jut about
>>> finished all the modifications to the faqtoc on the mwiki. This is being
>>> done through a copy of the template file so as to avoid multiple saves to
>>> the template bringing the mwiki to its knees. Once the copy is finalized
>>> the changes will be made to the actual template file and saved once.
>>> Though
>>> tj has told me there should be no major performance hit by doing this I
>>> will schedule it probably over a weekend when usage is lower to
>>> (hopefully)
>>> minimize the hurt when Murphy inevitably bites.
>>>
>>>  I agree with tj, that is not a major burden for the mysql. Please be
>> aware
>> that I am looking at moving wikitest to production before end of the
>> year...so please send me an e-mail directly, when you want to start
>> working, then I keep my hands off.
>>
>> Jan I.
>>
>>  Jan;
>
> In my earlier discussions with tj his feeling was that what I will be
> doing should not have any effect on the upgrade procedures. As long as the
> underlying data structure remains with all of it's associations and links
> to categories there should not be a problem. As I told tj previously, I am
> a process engineer and spent most of career in manufacturing. One tends to
> develop a cautious and conservative approach when knowing that it is you
> who has to explain to the operations manager and the plant manager why
> there production line is sitting idle. <lol> I have been bitten by Murphy
> in ways that I had never imagined and I am sure he has more waiting in the
> wings or me.
>
> It will not affect the upgrade, as long as you do it either before or
after I upgrade...if you it after I have made a backup of the db we might
have problems, so lets avoid that. When you want to do all your template
stuff, give me an advance notice, and I will not start the upgrade (or if I
am in the middle tell you).

> If it would be easier to do the rest of the development work on the test
> part I have no problem doing that. We need the software update and the
> clean-up work desperately and I do not want to interfere with that work in
> any way.

No, then I would have to merge the databases....but if there is something
you want to test before adding it to production, please feel free to do so
on the test system, that is the purpose of it !!! BUT all changes must be
done in the live wiki.

At the moment I wait for the deletion of at least half of the unused
images, so the backup becomes manageable :-)

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/07/2012 09:03 PM, schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
> Based on extended discussions on this list at:
> http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-dev#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev+page:1+mid:pkyogj4m45anxuxg+state:results.
> I propose to start merging and updating the User FAQ's from the website
> into the current structure on the mediawiki (mwiki) and updating the
> FAQ's already there by eliminating outdated references to version 1 and
> version 2 and any duplications.
>
> If there are no objections in 72 hours I will start merging the entries
> from the website into the mwiki.
>
> Regards
> Keith N. Mckenna

Thanks for taking care to transfer the things into the Wiki.

Marcus