Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2016/08/23 20:42:51 UTC

Re: Tomcat 7 context.xml update questions

Re: Tomcat 7 context.xml update questions

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

John,

On 8/24/16 2:40 PM, John Beaulaurier -X (jbeaulau - ADVANCED NETWORK
INFORMATION INC at Cisco) wrote:
> Thanks for the response Chris.
>
>> Second now that the new attribute entry was supposedly picked up,
>> how do I confirm it is now 300 seconds? I don't see that
>> attribute in the default server status page.
>
>> What default server status page?
>
> I'm referring to the server status page at
> hostname:port/manger/status I was hoping to see that attribute
> setting noted looking at "Complete Server Status"

I'm fairly sure you're going to have to use JMX to probe the current
value of that setting. The "server status" page isn't going to go into
that level of detail.

- -chris

> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
> [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Tuesday, August 23,
> 2016 1:43 PM To: Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7 context.xml update questions
>
> John,
>
> On 8/22/16 1:08 PM, John Beaulaurier -X (jbeaulau - ADVANCED
> NETWORK INFORMATION INC at Cisco) wrote:
>> I have two questions regarding an update to the context.xml file.
>>  First I understood that any changes made to the context.xml file
>> would not be read until the Tomcat instance was restarted.
>
> That depends upon your configuration. Tomcat's default
> configuration will reload your application if anything about your
> app's META-INF/context.xml changes.
>
>> I updated the removeAbandonedTimeout attribute from 90 to 300
>> seconds planning on restarting the Tomcat instance later today,
>> but Tomcat restarted automatically after I saved the update. I
>> did not know Tomcat was monitoring for changes in the context
>> file, and then would restart if any changes were detected. Is
>> that standard behavior?
>
> Yes. Have a look at
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic_Ap
pl

ication_Deployment

Posted by "John Beaulaurier -X (jbeaulau - ADVANCED NETWORK INFORMATION INC at Cisco)" <jb...@cisco.com>.
Thanks for the response Chris.

> Second now that the new attribute entry was supposedly picked up, how
> do I confirm it is now 300 seconds? I don't see that attribute in the
> default server status page.

> What default server status page?

I'm referring to the server status page at hostname:port/manger/status
I was hoping to see that attribute setting noted looking at "Complete Server Status"

-John