Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sebastien Arbogast <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/13 00:00:14 UTC

Maven 2 for desktop applications

I know that this question has been asked many many times and still I
cannot find one single valid answer with a simple google request like
"Maven2 desktop".

Actually, everytime the answer seems to be about the same, Maven can
allow that, but it can't do it by default: you have to tinker a bit,
use a bit of assembly plugin here, a few ant scripts behind the
scenes, and in the end, you get something working.

The problem is that it's incredibly fragile and it relies upon a
default lifecycle that is clearly server-oriented.

IMHO, developing a desktop application with Swing for example, is
sufficiently different from a JEE application to define:
- a specialized set of lifecycle phases for it, with other default targets
- a new artifact to ease the creation of new projects

What do you think? Is someone using only Maven 2 for building pure
desktop applications? How do you do it? What are best practices and
conventions in that matter? Is there any work in progress related to
Maven  2 for desktop applications?

Because I'm kind of frustrated to be forced to use old low-level ant
scripts or IDE-specific builders to do the job while having my server
components nicely built with Maven. Of course if nothing exists, I'll
try to do something myself, but I want to be sure that I won't
reinvent the wheel first, and have some feedback about this.

Cheers.
--
Sébastien Arbogast

http://www.sebastien-arbogast.com

Re: Maven 2 for desktop applications

Posted by Valerio Schiavoni <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi sebastian,
i've developed a swing-based java application, using quiet standard
configuration and common plugins. nothing strange. no very big differences
between this kind of application and a webapp: this is a key feature of
maven, being able to reuse the same usage pattern across different kind of
projects.

about your questions:

On 12/13/06, Sebastien Arbogast <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - a specialized set of lifecycle phases for it, with other default targets

what do you propose?

- a new artifact to ease the creation of new projects

the standard (default) archetype was enough for me. what else did you have
to add?

cheers,
valerio

--