Posted to user@spark.apache.org by sdevashis <sd...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/15 02:15:23 UTC

Using JDBC clients with "Spark on Hive"

Hello Experts,

I am getting started with Hive with Spark as the query engine. I built the
package from sources. I am able to invoke Hive CLI and run queries and see
in Ambari that Spark application are being created confirming hive is using
Spark as the engine.

However other than Hive CLI, I am not able to run queries from any other
clients that use the JDBC to connect to hive through thrift. I tried
Squirrel, Aginity Netezza workbench, and even Hue.

No yarn applications are getting created, the query times out after
sometime. Nothing gets into /tmp/user/hive.log Am I missing something?

Again I am using Hive on Spark and not spark SQL.

Version Info:
Spark 1.4.1 built for Hadoop 2.4

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Re: Using JDBC clients with "Spark on Hive"

Posted by Ricardo Paiva <ri...@corp.globo.com>.
Are you running the Spark Thrift JDBC/ODBC server?

In my environment I have a Hive Metastore server and the Spark Thrift
Server pointing to the Hive Metastore.

I use the Hive beeline tool for testing. With this setup I'm able to use
Tableau connecting to Hive tables and using Spark SQL as the engine.

Regards,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Paiva
Big Data / Semântica

Re: Using JDBC clients with "Spark on Hive"

Posted by Daniel Darabos <da...@lynxanalytics.com>.
Does Hive JDBC work if you are not using Spark as a backend? I just had
very bad experience with Hive JDBC in general. E.g. half the JDBC protocol
is not implemented (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-3175, filed
in 2012).