Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Brian Lucas <bl...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/13 07:01:05 UTC

Gentoo: problem with xml-apis.jar/Apache Tomcat Native Library

I'm getting the following when I used the "The Apache Tomcat Native library"
extensions in Gentoo:

Feb 13, 2007 12:55:42 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
filterStart

SEVERE: Exception starting filter SolrRequestFilter

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.java:74)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilter
Config.java:223)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFil
terConfig.java:304)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterCon
fig.java:77)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:36
34)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4217)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:7
59)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:608)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:535
)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1122)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSuppor
t.java:119)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)

        at
)

        at
.java:25)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: XPathFactory#newInstance() failed to
create an XPathFactory for the default object model:
http://java.sun.com/jaxp/xpath/dom with the
XPathFactoryConfigurationException:
javax.xml.xpath.XPathFactoryConfigurationException: No XPathFctory
implementation found for the object model:
http://java.sun.com/jaxp/xpath/dom

        at javax.xml.xpath.XPathFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.solr.core.Config.<clinit>(Config.java:49)

Any ideas what could be causing this?  If I rename/disable xml-apis.jar,
Solr works fine but gives me this message:

INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path:
/opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.10/jre/lib/i386/server:/opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.10/jre/lib/i386
:/opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.10/jre/../lib/i386

Feb 13, 2007 12:54:11 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init

Not sure if there's a compatibility issue here or not.  I did the standard
"emerge tomcat" under Gentoo and set up a JNDI mapping for the Solr
directory.

Any ideas, Gentoo users?

Brian

Re: Gentoo: problem with xml-apis.jar/Apache Tomcat Native Library

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Solr isn't really doing anything particularly special when this
RuntimeException occurs, the line is purely...

  static final XPathFactory xpathFactory = XPathFactory.newInstance();

According to the 1.5 javadocs for this method...

    Get a new XPathFactory instance using the default object model,
    DEFAULT_OBJECT_MODEL_URI, the W3C DOM.
    This method is functionally equivalent to:
       newInstance(DEFAULT_OBJECT_MODEL_URI)
    Since the implementation for the W3C DOM is always available, this
    method will never fail.

I suspect you could create a non-Solr Tomcat/Gentoo test case for this
with a simple HelloWorldServlet that had the same line, and then perhaps
the Tomcat or gentoo user communities would be able to shed some more
light on the issue.

(I honestly have no idea what '"The Apache Tomcat Native library"
extensions in Gentoo' are).

:
:         at javax.xml.xpath.XPathFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)
:
:         at org.apache.solr.core.Config.<clinit>(Config.java:49)

-Hoss

RE: Gentoo: problem with xml-apis.jar/Apache Tomcat Native Library

Posted by Graham Stead <gs...@ieee.org>.
I'm afraid I don't have the answer, I can only add that we also had this
problem. We later installed the official Tomcat binary, but still get the
"optimal performance in production environments" error notification.

-Graham