Posted to user@river.apache.org by Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net> on 2012/01/25 18:31:12 UTC

Jini Publications on iPad, iBooks-2 platform

One of the places that college material is apparently going to go, fairly quickly, is onto the iBooks-2 platform.  I'm wondering if we might find some new visibility and use of Jini in the classroom, if we had materials authored into that environment.  Jan Newmarch's tutorial/book as well as other things, including the Jini javadocs, and examples "docs" might be something that we could do fairly easily, and then publish for free access, or even for a small price that could help fund jini.org's existence.

Thoughts?  Comments?

Gregg Wonderly

Re: Jini Publications on iPad, iBooks-2 platform

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, it's a good thing and I'm not against
the discussion...

What qualifies as "success"?

Adoption of Jini everywhere, using it the right way for the right
things, making some money from consulting?

"Jini is full of excess".

Yep for sure there's too much for most to cope with. Question is
though, can you reduce it down and still tackle the distributed
systems challenges properly?

Maybe you can make service building a little easier, sugar coat
configuration and packaging but will that bring you "success" (see
question above)?

Jini I reckon is an embodiment of practices and principles for doing
distributed systems well. Is it the sweet spot? Maybe not, the Java
and mobility thing is a double edged sword. Powerful but brings some
pain and doesn't play so nice with other platforms (sure you can use
surrogate but is that sugar coated enough?)

Let's say you manage some level of sugar coating - can you do enough
to hide the challenges of understanding distribution and coding
properly for it? Don't think so. That is seriously audience limiting
so if "success" is mass adoption, I don't think you wanna get your
hopes up.

Or we could rebuild Jini around the patterns and principles and lose a
few bits to make it more acceptable to a broader audience. How much
broader though?

If you add annotations and such you can give it a character somewhat
like J2EE but I reckon you'll attract an audience that expects
something like actors and will run away screaming once they start
dealing in leases and the fact that, oh heck, things can go AWOL.

For me at least, there's the rub. You can put a lot of work in and not
vastly expand your user base. I'm not saying don't bother putting in
some work but pick the sweet spot which mightn't be sugar coating
(80/20 rules). I'd also say that if "success" is mass adoption you're
looking at boiling the ocean, you'll need to undo the mess that is the
system that produces low-grade developers and persuade business to
consider aptitude in their hiring. And if ocean boiling is what you
want to do (and I'm not saying don't just that it's a long hard road),
I reckon kindle'ing a couple of books or similar isn't the place to
start.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>.

Posted by Luis Matta <le...@uol.com.br>.

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>.

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
On 25 January 2012 23:52, Luis Matta <le...@uol.com.br> wrote:
> Wonderful idea,  but I do not believe very much in its success (so ignore
> me).

I'm with you on that.

> On the other side of things, can't Apache River adopt the jini.org site
> (Apache surely has the infrastructure).

I was thinking that much of jini.org no longer reflects reality, we
should perhaps consider reviewing what's worth retaining and simply
place it on the River site. History is important for sure but it can
also hold you back....

Posted by Luis Matta <le...@uol.com.br>.