Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2001/11/16 23:13:01 UTC

RE: How to send a language specific "subject" for new user confir mation e-mail

> I have updated the new user confirmation email to use a
> template for the
> message.  This will allow a language specific "message" to be
> sent.  To
> complete the task, I need to send a language specific "subject".
>
> Some ways to do this:
> 1) On way is to use entries in JR.p.
>     Disadvantage:  Adds a lot of entries to JR.p
>
> 2) Use Velocity template for subject.  I am already doing this for
>     the message body.
>
> 3) Use Localization.getString().
>     Where are the language specific values stored?

I think the solution is a mix between 2 and 3, use a template but
localized with Turbine l10n service, this way you get best of both
worlds a completely costumizable subject with a localized message easily
configurable..--

> The solution need to be easy for the "Jetspeed administrator"
> to change.

*.properties files is the way to go.., JetspeedLocalization*.java seems
not used right now.. and it's a very bad format.. almost evry ide has a
properties edtiro.. so..

> Ideas, Comments?
>
> Paul Spencer

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega

New Committers

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Hi All,

I proposed Chris Kimpton as a committer last week.
I kind of lost track and I don't have all of my emails with me on the road.
Could someone tell me if he received all three votes?

I'd also like to propose Andreas Kempf from Siemens.
Andreas is working with Jetspeed every day on his project there.
They are working on mobile solutions.
He plans to work in the following areas:

- Implement/improve wap support for jetspeed (includes modifying classes, vm
templates (html/wml))
- Improve customization (customize panes, html profile, wml profile)
- Improve vm templates (html) with css for easier layout adaptations.

My vote is:

+1

Thanks,

David

RE: How to send a language specific "subject" for new user confir mation e-mail

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
En vie, 2001-11-16 a 23:13, Ignacio J. Ortega escribió:

> > I have updated the new user confirmation email to use a
> > template for the
> > message.  This will allow a language specific "message" to be
> > sent.  To
> > complete the task, I need to send a language specific "subject".
> >
> > Some ways to do this:
> > 1) On way is to use entries in JR.p.
> >     Disadvantage:  Adds a lot of entries to JR.p
> >
> > 2) Use Velocity template for subject.  I am already doing this for
> >     the message body.
> >
> > 3) Use Localization.getString().
> >     Where are the language specific values stored?
> >

> I think the solution is a mix between 2 and 3, use a template but
> localized with Turbine l10n service, this way you get best of both
> worlds a completely costumizable subject with a localized message easily
> configurable..--

If I remember right, the issue was discussed previously. The point of
view of Raphael was that having everything in localised strings would
not work in a templating environment, because (for instance)
right-to-left languages like hebrew or arabic, would call for completely
different layouts and templates.

Nevertheless, there is an issue with regards to login messages (like
"Login Failed: no such user" or "Wrong password". These strings
correspond to system messages and they should be in localised strings.
(I don't really object, I just support your point).

I think the toolbox allows us to have a solution like the one you are
suggesting. The only remaining issue would be to mark those "message"
strings and localise them, as oposed to templates.

> *.properties files is the way to go.., JetspeedLocalization*.java seems
> not used right now.. and it's a very bad format.. almost evry ide has a
> properties edtiro.. so..

Yes, but only for messages. Templates are much cleaner for things like
login portlets, emails,... We just deliver a set of standard templates,
and we can have translation teams delivering Spanish, French, Chinese,
... subtrees + one properties file. This was one of the reasons why I
have always pushed unicode for us. We want a truly global server.