Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Gary W. Smith" <ga...@primeexalia.com> on 2006/01/14 17:21:24 UTC

[OT] Paypal scam emails

Hello,

I received a typical paypal email today and wanted to ask this question
of the group before looking too deep into the matter.  I normally get at
least one a day in my personal account.  This is normal.  Two weeks ago
I setup a new account for purchasing stuff through my company.  This new
account is in the form of billingforebay@mydomain.com.  Not a name the
end user would guess real easily.  I have setup the email address
through paypal but have yet to use it for the purchase of anything.

Today I received a 139 point paypal spam to this new account.  Is there
any possibilities that these email lists are originating from within
paypal?  I have yet to approach paypal regarding this.  Every time I
have called them in the past they just kick out that these spammers are
either screen scraping to get information or sending things out to
random addresses.   Though it's possible, it's high improbably in this
case as we have an account that get's undeliverables and that account
has never received any spam until after the signing up on paypal.

Just looking for feedback to determine what course of actions should be
taken.

Gary

Re: [OT] Paypal scam emails

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 14 January 2006 11:21, Gary W. Smith wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I received a typical paypal email today and wanted to ask this
> question of the group before looking too deep into the matter.  I
> normally get at least one a day in my personal account.  This is
> normal.  Two weeks ago I setup a new account for purchasing stuff
> through my company.  This new account is in the form of
> billingforebay@mydomain.com.  Not a name the end user would guess
> real easily.  I have setup the email address through paypal but have
> yet to use it for the purchase of anything.
>
>Today I received a 139 point paypal spam to this new account.  Is
> there any possibilities that these email lists are originating from
> within paypal?  I have yet to approach paypal regarding this.  Every
> time I have called them in the past they just kick out that these
> spammers are either screen scraping to get information or sending
> things out to random addresses.   Though it's possible, it's high
> improbably in this case as we have an account that get's
> undeliverables and that account has never received any spam until
> after the signing up on paypal.
>
>Just looking for feedback to determine what course of actions should
> be taken.
>
>Gary

I haven't gotten any of the usualy paypal phishing things today, but
from the contents of some of them, I'd swear there is a mole on the
paypal payroll.  I registered for a gmail account, and had one of those
phishing scams in that mailbox about an hour later.

Methinks ebay/paypall need to do a bit of housekeeping, hopefully by
filling the trash barrel & burning it.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are:

Re: [OT] Paypal scam emails

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
[OT] Paypal scam emails> Today I received a 139 point paypal spam to this new account.  Is there any possibilities that these
> email lists are originating from within paypal?  I have yet to approach paypal regarding this.  Every
> time I have called them in the past they just kick out that these spammers are either screen scraping
> to get information or sending things out to random addresses.   Though it's possible, it's high improbably
> in this case as we have an account that get's undeliverables and that account has never received any
> spam until after the signing up on paypal.

Actually I'd say that given the account name you chose there is an excellent chance this was just a semi-random blast into the night.

I get a half dozen or so paypal and ebay scams a day, and my email address, while pretty well known, doesn't have any obvious association with paypal or ebay.  Heck, I get 1-2 ebay scams a day from the same account in Romania every day!

These things are in general pretty easy to catch with SA if you have the SARE rules for them.

        Loren

Re: [OT] Paypal scam emails

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gary W. Smith" <ga...@primeexalia.com>

Hello,

I received a typical paypal email today and wanted to ask this question
of the group before looking too deep into the matter.  I normally get at
least one a day in my personal account.  This is normal.  Two weeks ago
I setup a new account for purchasing stuff through my company.  This new
account is in the form of billingforebay@mydomain.com.  Not a name the
end user would guess real easily.  I have setup the email address
through paypal but have yet to use it for the purchase of anything.

<<jdow>> Gary, you need to wake up from your fevered dream about that
name not being easily guessed. Were I trying to spam that and many
variants of it would be names I would try.

Today I received a 139 point paypal spam to this new account.  Is there
any possibilities that these email lists are originating from within
paypal?  I have yet to approach paypal regarding this.  Every time I

<<jdow>> Read them carefully. See where they direct you to go. I'd be
really surprised if any of them actually point back to PayPal, unless
you elected to have PayPal send you mailings of offers and such nonsense.

{^_^}