Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2018/02/09 10:03:58 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Hullo folks, time for a release methinks!

This is a vote on the artifacts collected from the tree in the 0.10
branch with commit hash a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8.

The tree can be inspected at
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/tree/a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8

The release candidate is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/

Specifically, this is a vote on
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.10-incubating.tar.xz
(md5, sha256 and sig files are provided as well).

Please inspect and vet the candidate and cast your votes accordingly:

[ ] +1: Good to go
[ ]  0: Meh, either way is fine
[ ] -1: Don't release because....

Anyone is welcome to vote on this release.
PPMC members can cast binding votes for the podling's release decision,
and IPMC members may cast binding votes that carry over to the IPMC
release vote later. This initial vote will last 72 hours (or less if all
possible votes have been cast).

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 February 2018 at 15:05, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> These are the sigs for the vote:
> MD5: 065197e47fc8854d030b1a67104a827b
> SHA256: d1d09334b6890e76733f8a3996ce573a4b3609582c0298a7912df969f4799b79

Thanks.

> It's all in version control, so you can correlate the vote if need be.

I don't think that's true, because the URL is not immutable.

If the historian only has the released artefact and its hashes, they
cannot trace back to the dist/dev/ repo entry.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
+1 as committer and IPMC member.  Nice to see a new (formal) release!

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 04:30:14PM +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 9 February 2018 at 16:17, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> > That's a matter of interpretation, I'd say.
>
> The sentence is:
>
> "Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which
> MUST be sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided
> they have access to the appropriate platform and tools."
>
> How can it be right to omit the tests?

Users can test it themselves. There is no obligation for the ASF to
provide tests. I'd go so far as to say: please don't provide a test
suite that is not mature, as it may provide false positives.

Cheers,
-g

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 February 2018 at 16:17, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 05:07 PM, sebb wrote:
>

>> Not so; a release must be capable of being built *and tested*.
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#source-packages
>>
>> Whilst the code currently has very few tests, there are some, and
>> users should be able to run them.
>
> That's a matter of interpretation, I'd say.

The sentence is:

"Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which
MUST be sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided
they have access to the appropriate platform and tools."

How can it be right to omit the tests?

> I left out the test dir, as it's not required for installing and using
> the software (generally speaking, the test dir in my opinion is for us
> developers, not the end user). You are free to of course vote -1 on that
> basis.

I have already.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 February 2018 at 15:40, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 04:29 PM, sebb wrote:
>> On 9 February 2018 at 10:03, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hullo folks, time for a release methinks!
>>>
>>> This is a vote on the artifacts collected from the tree in the 0.10
>>> branch with commit hash a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8.
>>>
>>> The tree can be inspected at
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/tree/a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8
>>>
>>> The release candidate is available at:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
>>
>> -1
>>
>> The dist archive does not agree with the GIT commit.
>
> It doesn't have to agree. It is files _collected_ from that hash.

Depends on what is missing.

But I agree that a release should not include source that is not in
the commit hash.

>> At least one file is different (site/js/ponymail.js)
>
> Correct, the version differs. This shouldn't be a problem.

I think it should be fixed.
It does not meet your definition of "files _collected_ from that hash"

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 February 2018 at 14:00, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 04:40:40PM +0100, Daniel Gruno wrote:

>> > -1
>> >
>> > The dist archive does not agree with the GIT commit.
>>
>> It doesn't have to agree. It is files _collected_ from that hash.
>
> Plus a bunch more.
>
> Any autoconf-based project only has "configure.ac" in their source
> tree. But the *release* has "configure" in there.
>
> Throw in lots of crap about aclocal, automake, blah blah, crap.
>
> No. A release tarball never matches a revision in source control.

That's not my experience.

What's the point of the VCS revision if it does not match the files
that are in the tarball?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 09/02/2018 11:03, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> Hullo folks, time for a release methinks!
>
> This is a vote on the artifacts collected from the tree in the 0.10
> branch with commit hash a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8.
>
> The tree can be inspected at
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/tree/a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8
>
> The release candidate is available at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
>
> Specifically, this is a vote on
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.10-incubating.tar.xz
> (md5, sha256 and sig files are provided as well).
>
> Please inspect and vet the candidate and cast your votes accordingly:
>
> [ ] +1: Good to go
> [ ]  0: Meh, either way is fine
> [ ] -1: Don't release because....
>
> Anyone is welcome to vote on this release.
> PPMC members can cast binding votes for the podling's release decision,
> and IPMC members may cast binding votes that carry over to the IPMC
> release vote later. This initial vote will last 72 hours (or less if all
> possible votes have been cast).

+1
Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm also +1 binding btw.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
+1 ship all the ponies

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

And also missing license in LICENSE for [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. ponymail/site/fonts/glyphicons-halflings-regular.svg

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I did say in the initial email that we had 4 IPMC votes carrying over
> from the first vote. If that was not clear enough, I'll make sure it's
> clearer next time :)

Sorry I must of missed / overlooked that.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 02/16/2018 12:39 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know the vote is over but I noticed a couple a minor things you may want to fix in the next release:
> -  NOTICE has incorrect year
> - jQuery mentioned in LICENSE doesn’t seem to be bundled

Ack, we'll get those fixed up :)

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Daniel Gruno wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 14:08:18 +0100
> From: Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

> Specifically, this is a vote on
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.10-incubating.tar.xz
> (md5, sha256 and sig files are provided as well).

   ... and a .asc (great, fine) ; please don't use .sig's.

> Daniel.

   HPP

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.10

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
With the existing IPMC votes in the original vote, and no further votes
cast in the general@ vote, the release has passed. Yay :)

I'll start prepping for this.

With regards,
Daniel.