Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Alireza Fattahi <Al...@pdpsoft.com> on 2002/12/18 06:44:59 UTC

Java Server Faces

Hi,

As you might know the Java Server Faces is released. Is Struts compatible
with this specification? If not will it be compatible with that?

By the way, is this sentence correct:
The JFC is specification and sun will not develop any thing at all by
himself.

Alireza.

Re: Java Server Faces

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Alireza Fattahi wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:14:59 +0330
> From: Alireza Fattahi <Al...@pdpsoft.com>
> Subject: Java Server Faces
>
> Hi,
>
> As you might know the Java Server Faces is released. Is Struts compatible
> with this specification? If not will it be compatible with that?

Struts will have an integration library that is compatible with the next
early access release of JavaServer Faces (the APIs have been undergoing
revision since the public EA release several months ago).

> By the way, is this sentence correct:
> The JFC is specification and sun will not develop any thing at all by
> himself.

The spec lead for any Java Specification Request (JSR), including
JavaServer Faces, is required to provide a "reference implementation" that
conforms to the specification.  Sun will be doing so for JavaServer Faces
as well.  However, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a variety of
implementations of this specification, with different sets of features.

> Alireza.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Java Server Faces

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Andrew Hill wrote:

>Afaik, its still just in "early release" so its not quite done yet. I think
>sun usually does a 'reference implementation' of much of the stuff they spec
>out but leave it to others to do  , hmmm... whats a good word?
>"better","richer"? implementations.

No, no - you wanted to say "robust" and "open source" ;-)  HEH

>Struts doesnt currently support JSF but I gather from comments Craig made
>that there is stuff going on at the moment towards integrating a future
>version of struts with JSF.

Yes - haven't heard an update for some time now, but Craig has been
working on (among the other 10^1000000 things he does) a struts-faces
servlet that would mesh Struts and JSF in a very nice way.  Seeing as
how Craig is the lead dog on the JSF project, I'd wager JSF and Struts
will mesh nicely once JSF is done.  When?  Well ... not today :-( but it
will happen.

--
Eddie Bush

RE: Java Server Faces