Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/29 18:36:18 UTC

supported versions

Hi,

Just had a discussion with WANdisco about the versions that are
supported for TSVN. Since their customer is using an 1.4.x server I
wanted to check which version SVN still supports, i.e., provides at
least security updates for. But I couldn't find anything on the web
about that.

I think that this was discussed on the mailing list before that only the
current stable branch is supported with bugfixes, and the one branch
before only with security updates. Meaning now: 1.6.x still gets
bugfixes, and 1.5.x would get security updates if necessary.

Is this correct?

And shouldn't there be something on the web mentioning this? Or maybe
there is but I couldn't find it...

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:36:18PM +0200, Stefan Küng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just had a discussion with WANdisco about the versions that are
> supported for TSVN. Since their customer is using an 1.4.x server I
> wanted to check which version SVN still supports, i.e., provides at
> least security updates for. But I couldn't find anything on the web
> about that.
>
> I think that this was discussed on the mailing list before that only
> the current stable branch is supported with bugfixes, and the one
> branch before only with security updates. Meaning now: 1.6.x still
> gets bugfixes, and 1.5.x would get security updates if necessary.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, it is.

> And shouldn't there be something on the web mentioning this? Or
> maybe there is but I couldn't find it...

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html#svn-1.4-deprecation

Stefan

Re: supported versions

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Stefan Küng wrote on Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 21:42:55 +0200:
> Is there a way to get a preview of the modified html files? Showing them
> in a browser doesn't show them properly so it's hard to figure out if
> the changes are correct.

I preview them in a locally-installed httpd.  (I already had one set up
for the Python tests, so I just extended its config a bit.)

I can share that httpd.conf (for previewing the site and running tests)
if you like...

(really, we should figure out the minimal httpd.conf needed to preview
the site and commit that to /site/httpd.conf)

Re: supported versions

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.
On 29.09.2010 21:27, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:

>>> Not the easiest to find, but:
>>>
>>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html#svn-1.4-deprecation
>>
>> Thanks, this really isn't easy to find.
>> May I suggest to add a separate page explaining in detail which versions are
>> supported and with what (bugfixes, security fixes, data-loss fixes, ...). Or
>> maybe a separate section on the download page?
>
> Yeah, something on the download page is probably appropriate.  Wanna
> take a whack at it?

Where would be the best place?
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/
http://subversion.apache.org/source-code.html
or
http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

IMHO the release-notes page would be best, since the packages page first
mentions that those are not officially endorsed or maintained, and the
source-code page won't be browsed to by most users.

My suggestion for the text:

Supported versions

The Subversion project supports the following stable branches:

(table)
1.6.x		fully supported
1.5.x		partially supported, only security fixes and fixes which would
cause data loss
1.4.x		sparse support only: only fixes for severe security issue and
data loss issues
1.3.x and earlier	not supported anymore

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:56:33PM +0200, Stefan Küng wrote:
> On 29.09.2010 21:27, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>
> >Yeah, something on the download page is probably appropriate.  Wanna
> >take a whack at it?
>
> Patch attached.

This looks fine. I'd say just commit it. If there's anything wrong
with the way it looks someone (cmpilato?) will happily fix it.

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.
On 29.09.2010 21:27, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:

> Yeah, something on the download page is probably appropriate.  Wanna
> take a whack at it?

Patch attached.

Stefan

--
        ___

Re: supported versions

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29.09.2010 20:45, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Stefan Küng<to...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just had a discussion with WANdisco about the versions that are supported
>>> for TSVN. Since their customer is using an 1.4.x server I wanted to check
>>> which version SVN still supports, i.e., provides at least security
>>> updates
>>> for. But I couldn't find anything on the web about that.
>>>
>>> I think that this was discussed on the mailing list before that only the
>>> current stable branch is supported with bugfixes, and the one branch
>>> before
>>> only with security updates. Meaning now: 1.6.x still gets bugfixes, and
>>> 1.5.x would get security updates if necessary.
>>>
>>> Is this correct?
>>>
>>> And shouldn't there be something on the web mentioning this? Or maybe
>>> there
>>> is but I couldn't find it...
>>
>> Not the easiest to find, but:
>>
>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html#svn-1.4-deprecation
>
> Thanks, this really isn't easy to find.
> May I suggest to add a separate page explaining in detail which versions are
> supported and with what (bugfixes, security fixes, data-loss fixes, ...). Or
> maybe a separate section on the download page?

Yeah, something on the download page is probably appropriate.  Wanna
take a whack at it?

-Hyrum

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: supported versions

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just had a discussion with WANdisco about the versions that are supported
> for TSVN. Since their customer is using an 1.4.x server I wanted to check
> which version SVN still supports, i.e., provides at least security updates
> for. But I couldn't find anything on the web about that.
>
> I think that this was discussed on the mailing list before that only the
> current stable branch is supported with bugfixes, and the one branch before
> only with security updates. Meaning now: 1.6.x still gets bugfixes, and
> 1.5.x would get security updates if necessary.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> And shouldn't there be something on the web mentioning this? Or maybe there
> is but I couldn't find it...

Not the easiest to find, but:

Re: supported versions

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:36:18PM +0200, Stefan Küng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just had a discussion with WANdisco about the versions that are
> supported for TSVN. Since their customer is using an 1.4.x server I
> wanted to check which version SVN still supports, i.e., provides at
> least security updates for. But I couldn't find anything on the web
> about that.
>
> I think that this was discussed on the mailing list before that only
> the current stable branch is supported with bugfixes, and the one
> branch before only with security updates. Meaning now: 1.6.x still
> gets bugfixes, and 1.5.x would get security updates if necessary.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, it is.