Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ralph Einfeldt <ra...@uptime-isc.de> on 2000/11/03 15:10:21 UTC

AW: Request for clarification - I.E. Tomcat mod_jk installed in A pache

If you would serve your static content by apache
and call your dynamic pages directly from tomcat
you have to think about the following:
An uncomplete braindump of mine:

- You loose the common access.log for all requests
- You would rely on tomcat as a HTTP server
  and the HTTP implementation is possibly not as
  stable as apaches.
- Some clients of your server may not even get
  your dynamic content, because some sysadmins block
  HTTP Request from non standard ports in their
  firewalls
- apache has some features that are not available for
  tomcat standalone (mod_rewrite, virtual hosting)
- I think it is not a good policy to put the port number
  in the pages. So you have to implement something to deal
  with this.
- You have two dedicated servers with their own
  administration.

<snip/>
> Why would I need to put the module 'inside' apache, if I'm
> required to run Tomcat as a process AND access my servlets
> on another port? Can I not just run it all off Tomcat
> standalone? I understand that Apache is more 'configurable'
> and handles static content better, but, I don't understand
> why I would add Tomcat into apache if I just access the same
> URL as I would if it was stand alone. Could I not get the
> same results leaving NOTHING extra inside Apache and
> referencing my Servlet files on the  8080 port (as
> tomcat stand alone)?
<snip/>