Posted to dev@kyuubi.apache.org by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org> on 2022/10/20 09:14:09 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Kyuubi from Apache Incubator as Top Level Project

Hi, Kyuubi communnity,

This is a call for voting to graduate Kyuubi as a Top Level Project.
The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

Please provide your vote as one of the following options:
  [ ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache Kyuubi as a TLP
  [ ] 0 - I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
  [ ] -1 - Do not recommend the graduation of Apache Kyuubi because...

Kyuubi has been an incubating project since 2021-06-21 after the
proposal[1] was accepted. During the incubation, the Kyuubi project
and community developed stably and continuously following the Apache
Way. By both sorting out and self-checking the Kyuubi maturity model[2],
and also a community discussion[10], we believe that the Kyuubi project
is ready for graduating as a Top Level Project.

Here is a brief overview of the progress of the Apache Kyuubi(incubating)
project and community since entering the incubator:

** Community **

- 3 new PPMC members were added, bringing the total number to 12.
- 8 new committers were added, bringing the total number to 17.
- 60+ new contributors participate in the community. The number of
contributors is now 94 and still growing.
  project discussions happen there. The GitHub Discussions page is also being
  actively used for user questions, feature requests, story sharing, etc.
- Held 3 meetups by our community, and participated in 20+ events, such as
 ApacheCon, to promote the Kyuubi project.

** Project **

- 8 releases[3] by 8 different release managers.
- 1400+ pull requests merged[4], and 900+ issues resolved[5]
- Kyuubi website[6] is now compliant with the Apache Project Website
  requirements[7]
- Project maturity model is detailed in[2].

** Licensing and Branding Issues **

- We have applied the podling name serach[8] and it has been reviewed
  and approved
- IP Clearance: 2021-06-21
- Software Grant Received on: 2021-07-04
- Confirmation of ASF Copyright Headers on Source Code on: 2021-06-21
- Confirmation of Binary Distribution Licensing: 2021-06-21

---

Establish the Apache Kyuubi Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to a distributed and multi-tenant gateway to provide serverless
SQL on data warehouses and lakehouses.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Kyuubi Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Kyuubi Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to a distributed
and multi-tenant gateway to provide serverless SQL on data warehouses
and lakehouses.; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Kyuubi" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Kyuubi
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Kyuubi
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Kyuubi Project:

 * Akira Ajisaka     <aa...@apache.org>
 * Cheng Pan         <ch...@apache.org>
 * Dongdong Hong     <ho...@apache.org>
 * Duo Zhang         <zh...@apache.org>
 * Fei Wang          <fe...@apache.org>
 * Hongxiang Jiang   <jh...@apache.org>
 * Jeff Zhang        <zj...@apache.org>
 * Kent Yao          <ya...@apache.org>
 * Shaoyun Chen      <cs...@apache.org>
 * Vino Yang         <vi...@apache.org>
 * Willem Ning Jiang <ni...@apache.org>
 * XiDuo You         <ul...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Kent Yao be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache Kyuubi, to serve in accordance with
and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Kyuubi Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Kyuubi
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Kyuubi podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

---

Kent Yao

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/KyuubiProposal
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi/blob/master/MATURITY.md
[3] https://kyuubi.apache.org/releases.html
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi/pulls?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+closed%3A%3E=2021-06-21
[5] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+closed%3A%3E2021-06-21
[6] https://kyuubi.apache.org/
[7] https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/kyuubi
[8] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-196
[9] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/kyuubi.html
[10] https://lists.apache.org/thread/h7bd68r91foj9d4gnc33f2f321kbbc4g

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Kyuubi from Apache Incubator as Top Level Project

Posted by Vino Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Paul Lam <pa...@gmail.com> 于2022年10月21日周五 15:33写道:

Posted by Paul Lam <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Fu Chen <cf...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by 焦清波 <jq...@163.com>.
+1

| |

Posted by Nicholas Jiang <ni...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by kaifei yi <yi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--

Best wishes,

Y.K.F

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Kyuubi from Apache Incubator as Top Level Project

Posted by 李孟 <me...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Zhen Wang <wa...@apache.org>.
+1

Kind Regards,
Zhen Wang

Fei Wang <fe...@apache.org> 于2022年10月20日周四 18:33写道:

Posted by Fei Wang <fe...@apache.org>.
+1

回复:[VOTE] Graduate Kyuubi from Apache Incubator as Top Level Project

Posted by zhaomin <zh...@163.com>.
+1,thanks

Best Regards,
Min Zhao

---- 回复的原邮件 ----
| 发件人 | Shaoyun Chen<cs...@apache.org> |
| 日期 | 2022年10月20日 18:24 |
| 收件人 | dev@kyuubi.apache.org<de...@kyuubi.apache.org> |
| 抄送至 | |
| 主题 | Re: [VOTE] Graduate Kyuubi from Apache Incubator as Top Level Project |

Posted by Shaoyun Chen <cs...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by XiDuo You <ul...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by wangsheng <22...@qq.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Dongdong Hong <ho...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Cheng Pan <ch...@apache.org>.
 +1

Posted by tao wang <wt...@gmail.com>.
+1

Jeff Zhang <zj...@apache.org> 于2022年10月22日周六 12:17写道:

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
+1

-Akira

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@apache.org>.
+1,

Thanks all for the vote, I will collect the vote result and send to the list soon.

Posted by Wanqiang Ji <ji...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Yikun Jiang <yi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 周一帆 <zh...@gmail.com>.