Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cédric Buschini <cb...@carax.com> on 2005/03/17 17:24:59 UTC

Start and stop Tomcat + Cron

Hi

I'd like to stop and start my tomcat using cron so I added this in the
root's crontab and /etc/crontab :

00 22 * * * root /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh
02 22 * * * root /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/startup.sh

but it does work :s

Any got ideas ???

Thk

Cedric

Re: Start and stop Tomcat + Cron

Posted by Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr>.
Yes and it depends on your crontab version.
In my version,
the system-wide crontab seems like this :
00 22 * * * /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh
and the user-wide crontab seems like this :
00 22 * * * /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh
but are not executed by the same user.

Posted by Cédric Buschini <cb...@carax.com>.
yes everything is fine.
all vars have been export. I've done a JAVA_HOME=path/to/java then
export JAVA_HOME.
Same thing for CATALINA_HOME ....

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.

Cédric Buschini wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd like to stop and start my tomcat using cron so I added this in the
> root's crontab and /etc/crontab :
>
> 00 22 * * * root /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh
> 02 22 * * * root /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/startup.sh
>
> but it does work :s
>
> Any got ideas ???
>
> Thk
>
> Cedric

    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist
    iPOV
    (334) 821-5412
    www.ipov.net

Re: Start and stop Tomcat + Cron

Posted by Cédric Buschini <cb...@carax.com>.
1/ Sorry having replied to an unrelated message.

2/ Yes Tomcat always run as root.

3/ I am newbie, so I will get info about 'wapper script'.

4/ uhmmm a newbie question : Where can I find these logs ..... sorry :s

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news  -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: Start and stop Tomcat + Cron

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@coe.tamu.edu>.
1. Which platform and crond are you on? Is the crontab format correct for
your environment?

    00 22 * * * root /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh

vs. 00 22 * * * /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh

2. You may want to see if shutdown.sh works as root.

3. You can also try
    00 22 * * * /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/shutdown.sh >> logfile 2>&1
or whatever works in your shell, and post caught errors.

4. If you're in Fedora, you can put these 2 lines in a script (say,
tomcat1.sh) and

00 22 * * * root /YOUR/PATH/tomcat1.sh

    su - tomcat /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/setclasspath.sh
    su - tomcat /PATH/TO/JAKARTA/bin/startup.sh

HTH.

Regards,

Ben Kim
Database Developer/Systems Administrator
434E Harrington Tower / College of Education
Texas A&M University