Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/29 00:45:33 UTC

Proposal - Separate 2.x Git Branch

Discuss here, add questions to the wiki, etc:

http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/Proposal%202012%20Separate%202.x%20Git%20Branch

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: Proposal - Separate 2.x Git Branch

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
... Not part of the apache dist? Why not? Those are essential for our
target audiences IMO

Posted by Drew Walters <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
ya no worries, not really there for any platform: yet

its been prototyped, proven in production dev workflow at nitobi,
ready for prime time treatment in 1.7

heck, maybe even a master script for 2.x now

Posted by Drew Walters <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Drew Walters <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 14:02, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:

> Perhaps now, we kick up a new thread about CLI Tooling and a separate
> one about Plugins?

will do

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:14, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:

> > Show me the man pages of the cli tooling, for instance, so I can get a
> > sense of what the effort/complexity for it is going to be.
>
> We do have cli tooling for all the major platforms however. Maybe man
> pages are all that needs doing for iOS, Android and BlackBerry. For
> Windows Phone the tooling needs writing.

You mean, this, for iOS, is the "cli tooling"?

    https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-ios/tree/master/bin

Because I had something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN MIND.

- single 'cordova' command, installable via npm (npm install http:/
dist.apache.org/whatever.tar.gz)
- lots of subcommands; think 'git'
- subcommand: init/create - initialize/create a new Cordova project
- subcommand: addPlatform - set to handle a new platform in the project
- subcommand: addPluginRepo - add a new plugin repo in the project
- subcommand: addPlugin - install a new plugin repo from a plugin repo in
the project
- subcommand: <remove variants of the add subcommands>
- subcommand: build [platform] - build the app for the platform (default:
all platforms)
- subcommand: debug platform
- subcommand: yadda-yadda whatever

That's kick-ass.  That's what I want in 2.x.  If we can't do this in the
first 2.x, I suspect we'll then have to wait for 3.x, as the project/plugin
structure will have to be settled, and whatever we do it 2.x prolly won't
be exactly what we need, and so we'll need to refactor things, AGAIN.  Tell
people how to restructure their plugins, AGAIN.  Or tell people, plugins
are still not official, AGAIN. Now we're in 2013-land.  Sigh.

In my mind, the tooling ends up having a lot of impacts on how we structure
at least the "binary" archives of our releases, but likely the actual
source structure as well, so that we can easily develop plugins without
having to jump through the kinds of build-install hoops we have to, today.

I don't see us on a good, stable, maybe-future-safe direction, until we
have this tooling working.  Or at least limping quite well.

My understanding of where we're going is that Cordova becomes a "plugin"
and "web view" manager.  All the existing batteries-included plugins will
at least removable from whatever we install, or maybe you get no plugins
with a default install.  But the plugins are a core part of our story.  If
we haven't provided a way to add/remove plugins, from the command line -
and that includes the native bits! - then we haven't arrived at the stable,
maybe-future-safe nirvana for Cordova.  As far as I'm concerned, we might
as well just keep on trucking on the 1.x stream.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
> The problem is - I don't understand the scope of the 2.x work.

Yeah, this is what Fil and I both were trying to get at in the other thread.

> Maybe I'm missing something.  Is there more detail than this?
>
>    http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/RoadmapProjects

No, those are the high level goals. The idea would be to take those
goals and turn them into issues for 1.7 ...and beyond. As the release
comes. There is more detail on each sorta proj if you scroll down.

> Show me the man pages of the cli tooling, for instance, so I can get a
> sense of what the effort/complexity for it is going to be.

We do have cli tooling for all the major platforms however. Maybe man
pages are all that needs doing for iOS, Android and BlackBerry. For
Windows Phone the tooling needs writing.

> If I don't know the scope of the work, I can't really estimate how many
> 'rolling releases' we're going to have, and so can't estimate the final
> release date.

The scope has nothing to do with the release; if something doesn't fit
in, is not baked enough, we move to the next release. And lets be
clear: the issue w/ 1.5 was not instability: it was documentation.

> in 2.(x+1)!" just because we had to ship on a certain date.  I want to ship
> a kick ass 2.x release, and I honestly don't really care WHEN it happens.

Agree. And if we ONLY spent the next 4 months just fixing bugs,
hardening, and cleaning up the docs 2.x kicks ass in July.

2.x summary: plugins, vastly improved tooling, weinre on nodejs,
CordovaJS, CordovaView, moving to Apache, and adding Windows Phone 7,
Qt, and possibly Tizen.

Not bad.

> Maybe July is do-able!  Help me understand the scope!

CordovaView on Android may be a breakable scene but I don't think it
has to be. Java gives us plenty of tools for shimming in backwards
compat. There's probably a whole book of design patterns and an XML
schema for just that. ;9

Otherwise the story is tests, docs, tooling, and lots of bugs
squashed. Nothing destructive imo.

Re: Proposal - Separate 2.x Git Branch

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:34, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:

> Moreso july is somewhat arbitrarily around the OSCON which is when we
> all happen to be in Portland. Its a good excuse for a summertime beer
> with friends. =)

Oh, come on.  We don't really need MORE excuses for drinking beer, do we?
:-)

> Really, I like to think what we're doing is 'rolling releases' with
> one overarching goal and bunch of mini goals to get there.

> Rather than releasing too early, or too late, just release on a
> regular schedule. Thats the basic premise.

You're preaching to the choir on 'rolling releases'.  Been doing it for
years, successfully - usually 6 weeks working out better than 4.
 Especially if the devs are also doing some amount of support for the
previous releases (and we always are).

I like that the 1.x work is on this kind of schedule.  And I'd like to do
this with 2.x as well.

The problem is - I don't understand the scope of the 2.x work.  Maybe I'm
missing something.  Is there more detail than this?

    http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/RoadmapProjects

Show me the man pages of the cli tooling, for instance, so I can get a
sense of what the effort/complexity for it is going to be.

If I don't know the scope of the work, I can't really estimate how many
'rolling releases' we're going to have, and so can't estimate the final
release date.

I've also done date-based releases, plenty of times.  "Thou shall ship on
xx/yy/zzzz".  No problem, as long as the customer understands that there's
a risk that function may need to be cut.  Cutting quality is never an
option, and extending the date is supposedly not an option, so when push
comes to shove, function gets dropped.  Customer gets to decide.  Sometimes
they decide (implicitly) to cut quality, by saying the date stays AND no
function gets dropped SO now you're in super crunch mode.

But I don't want to drop function or quality for 2.x.  I don't want to have
have the 2.x release where we say - "but wait till you see what we give you
in 2.(x+1)!" just because we had to ship on a certain date.  I want to ship
a kick ass 2.x release, and I honestly don't really care WHEN it happens.

Maybe July is do-able!  Help me understand the scope!

BTW, none of this has anything to do with moving the 2.x work to a
different stream than 1.x, which is what this thread is for :-)  Other than
my belief that working on 1.x and 2.x in the same stream will draw the 2.x
work out even longer than we need to.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Moreso july is somewhat arbitrarily around the OSCON which is when we
all happen to be in Portland. Its a good excuse for a summertime beer
with friends. =)

Really, I like to think what we're doing is 'rolling releases' with
one overarching goal and bunch of mini goals to get there. Do a little
Google around on 'release train'. It what we've been doing though some
might argue we haven't spent enough time 'hardening'. I'd disagree
given our bugs are around things like 'need better docs' and not
epic-fail-code-no-compile type business. *shrug

Its what ubuntu, firefox, chrome and others do. I'm not saying do
stuff b/c everyone else is; but its a far better model than 'release
when its done' aka 'release every 2 years or so' or worse. Working on
a blog post to describe my thoughts on the benefits vs the drawbacks
of the approach.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.