Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by "Bergemann, Eric" <eb...@parappsys.com> on 2007/02/06 16:08:05 UTC

Validating log4net configurations

Hi All,

            While log4net operates as expected by failing early and quietly
I have a need to know specifically why it isn't logging when it isn't. I
have been looking around for methods to validate a log4net configuration in
order to ensure that the file is set up correctly and I couldn't find any
solution apart from me making one from scratch. I would like to be able to
validate the following:

-Ensure valid XML

-Ensure no logger is pointing to a missing appender

-Ensure all required parameters to the appenders are present

I would like to see a way for me to call a separate method after calling
Configure or ConfigureAndWatch that is called something like
ConfigurationErrors in order to inform me of all issues with the
configuration. I noticed that there is a LogLog that much of the log4net
code is writing to, can this be accessed and how?

Eric Bergemann

Software Engineer

Paragon Application Systems, Inc.

326 Raleigh Street

Holly Springs, NC 27540

ebergemann@paragonedge.com <ma...@paragonedge.com>

(919) 567-9890

 <ma...@paragonedge.com>

RE: Validating log4net configurations

Posted by Dean Fiala <df...@celadonlabs.com>.
This is not something that currently exists. It would be a very handy tool.
AFAIK nor is there a schema available to allow you to use a validating
parser.

However, you can look at the internal debug information without too much
trouble.

http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/faq.html#internalDebug

This will tell you where a configuration problem has occurred.

HTH,
Dean Fiala

Chief Technology Officer
Celadon Laboratories, Inc.