Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Cédric Vidal <c....@proxiad.com> on 2007/07/26 22:24:50 UTC

Announcing Mavenizer 1.0.0-alpha-1

Hi Guys,

I would like to announce a new Apache licensed Maven 2 related tool called
Mavenizer:
http://mavenizer.sourceforge.net/

I've been heavily using Maven for a long time and just couldn't live without
it ;) but I often have to use third party libraries which have not been
mavenized already or simply have bad repository metadata. Either way,
mavenizing such libraries is a real pain especially when you want to get
Maven 2 transitive dependencies right.

Mavenizer attempts to ease the process of mavenizing such third party
libraries by trying to do as much guess work as possible.

A flash demo is available here, it illustrates the mavenization of
JFreeReport 0.8.7:
http://mavenizer.sourceforge.net/demos/jfreereport-0.8.7.html

This is considered alpha software. Nothing is stable yet; the code is pretty
monolithic and not pluggable at all. I plan on rewriting the code base from
the ground up in a more pluggable way so that Mavenizer can be extended with
user custom logic, naming strategies, etc ... But I wanted to release the
codebase as is as a proof of concept and why not, it could be helpful
already ;)

Any feedback on the way you use it and successful mavenizations using
Mavenizer would be really appreciated :) as well as bugs of course ^^

Kind regards,

Cédric Vidal

PS: Mavenizer is not related to Maveniser (with an 's' and also on
sourceforge), too bad the names are so close :(

RE: Announcing Mavenizer 1.0.0-alpha-1

Posted by Cédric Vidal <c....@proxiad.com>.
Hi Brian,

Thanx for your interest !

Cheers,

Cédric

I watched the demo, this looks like it will be a very handy tool!

Posted by Cédric Vidal <c....@proxiad.com>.
Thanx Jan !

Regards,

Cédric

Very nice, Cédric! This will be very useful.

-Jan

Posted by Jan Nielsen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cédric Vidal <c....@proxiad.com>.
Hi Brett,

Nice to meet you :) I hadn't seen maven-jar-shared but it looks great, I
will definitely have a look at it. Using the same logic would be great.

Aardvark seems to address the mavenization of the build system of a project
built with maven 1 or ant (the automation of such a process is a very
challenging task by the way); On the other hand, Mavenizer addresses the
different problem of mavenizing artefacts produced by a build system not
based on Maven 2. The two tools are complementary and could indeed share
some common code base.

Regarding Archiva, actually I was also thinking about integrating Mavenizer
with Archiva's index. Currently, a big limitation of Mavenizer is that it
will only consider for its analysis jars found in specified local search
directories provided by the user, it cannot consider artifacts available on
public maven repositories. This means that if the user depends on a class
which cannot be found in the search path, then the generated descriptors
will be incomplete. Mavenizer could be much more efficient if it could also
search in Archiva's index using its web services. Leveraging Archiva's
index, Mavenizer could automatically guess what jars in the search path are
already mavenized, it could search classes globally, it could resolve
artefacts by checksum, etc ...

Well that sounds like there is a lot of very interesting stuff to do!

I would be very pleased indeed to keep in touch.

Regards,

Cédric

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Cédric,