Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2012/02/03 23:09:01 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1239907 - in /directory/shared/trunk/ldap/model/src: main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/model/name/Rdn.java test/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/model/name/RdnTest.java

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM, <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Author: elecharny
> Date: Thu Feb  2 22:59:08 2012
> New Revision: 1239907

> Log:
> Fix DIRAPI-76 : new Rdn( "A=a,B=b" ) now throws an LdapInvalidDnException

Should the exception not be ... LdapInvalidNameComponent (we can create one
if it does not exist).

Reason I say this is that the whole issue with the non-intuitive
constructor was that the API user was thinking the argument can be a
multi-component relative distinguished name or a DN. LdapInvalidDnException
might not fit here and it might make the user think they have to use a DN
rather than a single name component.

WDYT?

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2/3/12 11:09 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM,<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>  Author: elecharny
>>> Date: Thu Feb  2 22:59:08 2012
>>> New Revision: 1239907

>>> Log:
>>> Fix DIRAPI-76 : new Rdn( "A=a,B=b" ) now throws an LdapInvalidDnException
>>>

>>>  Should the exception not be ... LdapInvalidNameComponent (we can create
>> one
>> if it does not exist).
>>
>> Reason I say this is that the whole issue with the non-intuitive
>> constructor was that the API user was thinking the argument can be a
>> multi-component relative distinguished name or a DN.
>> LdapInvalidDnException
>> might not fit here and it might make the user think they have to use a DN
>> rather than a single name component.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>>  Rahhh... Not such an easy move. In many many places, we are expecting a
> LdapInvalidDnException. Rdn is considered as a Dn with one single Rdn in
> most of the code.
>
> Question : would it worth the effort to change every part of the code when
> we can simply improve the message contained in the exception ?

Never thought it would be this bloody hard. Leave it as is then and just
improve the message contained in the exception.  This is my 2 cents.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 2/3/12 11:09 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM,<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Author: elecharny
>> Date: Thu Feb  2 22:59:08 2012
>> New Revision: 1239907

>> Log:
>> Fix DIRAPI-76 : new Rdn( "A=a,B=b" ) now throws an LdapInvalidDnException
>>

> Should the exception not be ... LdapInvalidNameComponent (we can create one
> if it does not exist).
>
> Reason I say this is that the whole issue with the non-intuitive
> constructor was that the API user was thinking the argument can be a
> multi-component relative distinguished name or a DN. LdapInvalidDnException
> might not fit here and it might make the user think they have to use a DN
> rather than a single name component.
>
> WDYT?

Rahhh... Not such an easy move. In many many places, we are expecting a
LdapInvalidDnException. Rdn is considered as a Dn with one single Rdn in
most of the code.

Question : would it worth the effort to change every part of the code
when we can simply improve the message contained in the exception ?

Or may be we can go for a more drastic change : get rid of the
LdapDnException and rename it LdapNmeException ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 4 févr. 2012, at 01:52, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/12 11:09 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM,<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
> Author: elecharny
> Date: Thu Feb  2 22:59:08 2012
> New Revision: 1239907

> Log:
> Fix DIRAPI-76 : new Rdn( "A=a,B=b" ) now throws an LdapInvalidDnException
>

> Should the exception not be ... LdapInvalidNameComponent (we can create one
> if it does not exist).
> Or LdapInvalidRdnException. Yes.
>

> Sounds good too.

+1

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 2/3/12 11:09 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM,<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Author: elecharny
>> Date: Thu Feb  2 22:59:08 2012
>> New Revision: 1239907

>> Log:
>> Fix DIRAPI-76 : new Rdn( "A=a,B=b" ) now throws an LdapInvalidDnException
>>

> Should the exception not be ... LdapInvalidNameComponent (we can create one
> if it does not exist).
Or LdapInvalidRdnException. Yes.

> Reason I say this is that the whole issue with the non-intuitive
> constructor was that the API user was thinking the argument can be a
> multi-component relative distinguished name or a DN. LdapInvalidDnException
> might not fit here and it might make the user think they have to use a DN
> rather than a single name component.
>
> WDYT?
I totally agree. The LdapInvalidDnException was picked to have a quick
fix for this issue. I was overloaded with many other issues related to
the change made in the Rdn constructor fix :
- DSML parser was not anymore working (a bug in the DSML xml files)
- some question raised about the ParentIdAnRdn to be double checked (do
we support a multiple AVA in a NamingContext, or not)

I'll add the exception.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com