Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/06/24 19:22:03 UTC

5.0 proposal

It seems we have 3 -1 votes so far. While majority is required, I think
we all agree that getting everyone ( reasonable ) involved and comfortable
with the proposal is very important ( and one of the goals of 5.0 ).

Christopher: I think we should add your requirement for performance
testing to the proposal. In fact, we should add a whole section about
testing for 5.0. Would this satisfy you ?

Glenn - I'm not sure what you ask for. The proposal adds no new
features (except the new servlet api), and we obviously can't
implement the next spec unless it's public. I understand your concern
about the time - but given that the code will be shared ( i.e. existing
code ) I don't think it should take years to get it done. Is there
any particular requirement you want to add to the proposal ?

For everyone - the proposal is in CVS, and everyone can contribute
to it. One of the main goals is to improve the community, and that
means we should be more sensitive to other needs. If you have an itch,
please add it to the plan, as a goal for 5.0 ( some may not happen
in 5.0.0 ).

Costin

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> +1 to add a Tomcat specific performance testing/benchmark repository.
>
> Perhaps it would be best if it were in its own repository,
> jakarta-tomcat-benchmark ?  I will help as I have time.

I think we have 3 +1s and one -1 - maybe Remy can change his vote ?

I don't thing j-t-benchmark is a good idea ( see later ), it should
be in the same place with the tests ( and the total time to run
the watchdog or product tests is a benchmark by itself )

> The latest Tomcat 5 proposal looks much better.  I am still -1 for
> starting the work until the JCP releases JSR 152 and JSR 154 for
> public review.

If you are talking about the implementation of the servlet/jsp
part - I totally agree, it would be pretty hard to implement it
without reading it first :-)

The JSP2.0 PD seems to be out ( and much larger than the previous,
it'll take few days to read it - I'm afraid we'll have a bloat fest..).

Regarding the other enhancements to Coyote and other parts -
I think we can start planning and discussing, that will take
some time.

Most of the work for 5.0 will actually be the same as work for 4.1 - so
we are in effect working on it already.

> There is one addition to the proposal I think we should discuss at
> this time.  That is the organization of the CVS repostories for
> Tomcat.

Yes, that's a big pain for me too.

> The trend started a while ago was to break out common components into
> their own repository.  jakarta-tomcat-connectors and
> jakarta-tomcat-jasper for example.
>
> Perhaps this would be the time to consider if there are better ways
> to organize the code. The reorganization would have three goals:
>
> 1. Allow sharing of components between different versions of Tomcat
>
> 2. Reduce duplication and maintenance of code in multiple branches of
>    one CVS repository.
>
> 3. Make the code base in each repository more tightly focused on
>    what it does, thus making it easier for developers to find bugs
>    and submit patches.
>
> As an example, there are now at least 4 different versions of jasper
> in various repositories.
>
> jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper34
> jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2
> jakarta-tomcat/jasper
> jakarta-tomcat-4.0/jasper
>
> Tomcat 5 would add a fifth.
>
> There are many other things that would be in common between Tomcat 4
> and Tomcat 5 which are not dependent on the Servlet or JSP version.
> Moving these out of the core Tomcat CVS repositories would make life
> easier.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, but I don't like creating too many CVS repositories, and
I don't think we should create too many big disruptions.

What about a jakarta-tomcat-modules/ CVS repository, with a structure
similar with commons or taglibs ?

All new components will go there - and eventually we can migrate
any old component that gets refactored and we make the code more
modular.

I think we should keep j-t-c and j-t-j, those are pretty big chunks.

Eventually j-t-5.0 should only contain the servlet implementation,
with no module, coyote will be in j-t-c - and all other modules
in j-t-m.

( well, that's a quick proposal - I'm not very sure it is good )

Costin

RE: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
FYI

JSR 152 is now in PFD

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr152/index.html

Kevin Jones
Developmentor
www.develop.com

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>
>> It seems we have 3 -1 votes so far. While majority is required, I think
>> we all agree that getting everyone ( reasonable ) involved and
>> comfortable
>> with the proposal is very important ( and one of the goals of 5.0 ).
>

> +1.
>
>> Christopher: I think we should add your requirement for performance
>> testing to the proposal. In fact, we should add a whole section about
>> testing for 5.0. Would this satisfy you ?
>

> +1 to start a new commons subproject.

How about making it part of JMeter?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> +1 to start a new commons subproject.
> If everyone else wants to see the bench webapp here, then I'll remove my
> -1. However, it sounds generic, and not at all dependent on Tomcat, so
> that's why I think it would be a lot better in the commons.

Maybe watchdog would be a better place for it ( or a -tomcat repository
for all tests ) ?

Fact is testing tomcat is important and performance is one of the
test categories.

Costin

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> It seems we have 3 -1 votes so far. While majority is required, I think
> we all agree that getting everyone ( reasonable ) involved and comfortable
> with the proposal is very important ( and one of the goals of 5.0 ).

+1.

> Christopher: I think we should add your requirement for performance
> testing to the proposal. In fact, we should add a whole section about
> testing for 5.0. Would this satisfy you ?

+1 to start a new commons subproject.
If everyone else wants to see the bench webapp here, then I'll remove my
-1. However, it sounds generic, and not at all dependent on Tomcat, so
that's why I think it would be a lot better in the commons.

> Glenn - I'm not sure what you ask for. The proposal adds no new
> features (except the new servlet api), and we obviously can't
> implement the next spec unless it's public. I understand your concern
> about the time - but given that the code will be shared ( i.e. existing
> code ) I don't think it should take years to get it done. Is there
> any particular requirement you want to add to the proposal ?

I added some details about the changes.

> For everyone - the proposal is in CVS, and everyone can contribute
> to it. One of the main goals is to improve the community, and that
> means we should be more sensitive to other needs. If you have an itch,
> please add it to the plan, as a goal for 5.0 ( some may not happen
> in 5.0.0 ).

Not many of the negative comments posted actually contained any
suggestions, so I didn't see much worth integrating, except Glenn's
comments about lack of detail.

Remy

Anyone know a way around this

Posted by John Trollinger <ja...@trollingers.com>.
Generated servlet error:
C:\WEBCTRL2_0\jspcache\testsystem\properties\lvl5\huge$jsp.java:30165:
code too large for try statement
    } catch (Throwable t) {
      ^
C:\WEBCTRL2_0\jspcache\testsystem\properties\lvl5\huge$jsp.java:2969:
code too large for try statement
    try {
        ^

An error occurred at line: 102 in the jsp file:
/testsystem/properties/lvl5/huge.staging.jsp

Generated servlet error:
Note: C:\WEBCTRL2_0\jspcache\testsystem\properties\lvl5\huge$jsp.java
uses or overrides a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
2 errors
Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:274)
	at
org.apache.jasper.JspEngineContext.compile(JspEngineContext.java:385)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:157)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:287)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:238)
	at
tionFilterChain.java:247)
	at
erChain.java:193)
	at
e.java:243)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
e.java:215)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticator
Base.java:472)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve.ja
va:246)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:236
6)
	at
:164)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
java:163)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.j
ava:1005)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:
1098)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHa
ndler.java:120)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.ja
va:293)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:291)

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Arshad Mahmood <ar...@compuvision.co.uk>.
Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with

RE: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Steven Wood <st...@all-hotels.com>.
>> I am really sorry, but you have only yourself to blame for not at least
upgrading to Tomcat 3.3.x, which is the HA version of Tomcat 3.2.

yip, I know, i'm dowloading it as i send this :-)

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

RE: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Arshad Mahmood <ar...@compuvision.co.uk>.

Re: random BOUND socket (was Re: 5.0 proposal).

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> Other that there are a lot of M$ ports (grr, XP ...), Tomcat is not
> misbehaving on that platform. I don't see any way so far to explain how
> it could be platform specific.

VM crap? I'll do some tests...

    Pier

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
jean-frederic clere wrote:

> I do see the following on my Linux:
> +++
> tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0:http-alt ::ffff:127.0.0.1:32893
> TIME_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:32892  ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8005
> TIME_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:32894  ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8009
> TIME_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::1:32891               ::1:32890
> TIME_WAIT
> +++
> The last line varies:
> +++
> tcp        0      0 ::1:32889               ::1:32888
> TIME_WAIT
> +++
> When Tomcat is stopped I do not have it.

On Windows/Cygwin, after starting Tomcat with:
- Coyote HTTP/1.1 on 8080
- HTTP/1.1 on 8083
- JK 2 on 8019

Here's what I have (TC is PID 3596, obviously):

$ netstat -ano

Active Connections

   Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State           PID
   TCP    0.0.0.0:135            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       764
   TCP    0.0.0.0:445            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1025           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       816
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1026           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1028           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1480
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1484           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       980
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1486           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       980
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1627           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1584
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1862           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1480
   TCP    0.0.0.0:1884           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1480
   TCP    0.0.0.0:8019           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3596
   TCP    0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3596
   TCP    0.0.0.0:8083           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3596
   TCP    127.0.0.1:25           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1584
   TCP    127.0.0.1:110          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1584
   TCP    127.0.0.1:1027         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1480
   TCP    127.0.0.1:1027         127.0.0.1:1028         ESTABLISHED     1480
   TCP    127.0.0.1:1028         127.0.0.1:1027         ESTABLISHED     1480
   TCP    127.0.0.1:2401         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1584
   TCP    127.0.0.1:5180         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       980
   TCP    127.0.0.1:8005         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3596
   TCP    192.168.1.102:139      0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4
   TCP    192.168.1.102:1484     64.12.29.4:5190        ESTABLISHED     980
   TCP    192.168.1.102:1486     64.12.27.244:5190      ESTABLISHED     980
   TCP    192.168.1.102:1627     63.251.56.143:22       ESTABLISHED     1584
   TCP    192.168.1.102:1862     209.197.105.94:80      CLOSE_WAIT      1480
   TCP    192.168.1.102:1884     209.197.105.94:80      CLOSE_WAIT      1480
   TCP    192.168.1.102:2391     208.255.92.10:110      TIME_WAIT       0
   UDP    0.0.0.0:445            *:*                                    4
   UDP    0.0.0.0:1029           *:*                                    944
   UDP    127.0.0.1:123          *:*                                    816
   UDP    127.0.0.1:1190         *:*                                    384
   UDP    192.168.1.102:123      *:*                                    816
   UDP    192.168.1.102:137      *:*                                    4
   UDP    192.168.1.102:138      *:*                                    4

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com> wrote:

> I do see the following on my Linux:
> +++
> tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0:http-alt ::ffff:127.0.0.1:32893  TIME_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:32892  ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8005   TIME_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:32894  ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8009   TIME_WAIT
> tcp        0      0 ::1:32891               ::1:32890               TIME_WAIT
> +++
> The last line varies:
> +++
> tcp        0      0 ::1:32889               ::1:32888               TIME_WAIT
> +++
> When Tomcat is stopped I do not have it.

It seems that you are actually observing my same odd behavior... On Solaris,
when the TIME_WAIT expires, one of those sockets becomes "BOUND", as if
noone ever closed it...

    Pier

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't see that much to remove. I assume JNDI is the ever popular
> > target, but I didn't notice it causing major problems (either
> > performance or reliability), so I'd say it's not worth it.
>
> Actually, I have a complaint... 4.1.3 tries to write into my conf directory:
> especially the tomcat-users.xml.new file (and since the directory is read
> only, the VM falls over).
>
> Call it defensive administration, but I don't want my engine to write a
> single file if it's not where I tell him to do: /tmp. And for sure it must
> not attempt to modify my tomcat-users.xml.
>
> Only _root_ can do that, and if this is one of those things you call
> "features", I call it a big huge security hole.

I also would prefer that temporary files like that be put in a separate
location for security reasons.  I will add that to my list of minor
changes to make.

> This are a couple of things that, apart from performances, tell me that no
> one ever actually tried to put this sucker in a _real_ production
> environment (I did, and it failed).
>
>     Pier

I have 3 production instances of Tomcat 4.1 from recent CVS builds
(still using Jasper 1).  All three use Apache 1.3.26 and mod_jk 1.2.
Two are low volume, one is medium volume (5-10k requests per day)
but with large peak loads several times a week.

The longest run I have gotten on the medium volume site is 4 weeks.
Getting to that point took alot of work tracking down problems.
It is performing fairly well now, but there are still cases where
Tomcat the container can't survive a web application problem.
A more robust Tomcat which can survive errant web applications is a
goal of mine.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't see that much to remove. I assume JNDI is the ever popular
> target, but I didn't notice it causing major problems (either
> performance or reliability), so I'd say it's not worth it.

Actually, I have a complaint... 4.1.3 tries to write into my conf directory:
especially the tomcat-users.xml.new file (and since the directory is read
only, the VM falls over).

Call it defensive administration, but I don't want my engine to write a
single file if it's not where I tell him to do: /tmp. And for sure it must
not attempt to modify my tomcat-users.xml.

Only _root_ can do that, and if this is one of those things you call
"features", I call it a big huge security hole.

Attached there is a nice output of my logfile.

Plus, about that random BOUND socket I had, I noticed it's a leftover
somehow in some friggin' initialization stage...

My ports are 8005 (control) and 8080 (http/coyote)

When I start up the thing it's all clear. I start 4.1.2 and notice:

Local Address   Remote Address  Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q State
--------------- --------------- ----- ------ ----- ------ ---------
localhost.8080  localhost.47420 32768      0 32768      0 TIME_WAIT
localhost.47422 localhost.47421 32768      0 32768      0 TIME_WAIT
        *.8080          *.*         0      0 24576      0 LISTEN

Why in the world is TC first of all opening a serversocket on port 47421?
(this port number always varies) what's going on here?

And why the hell does TC has to call himself up on port 8080? Is it
absolutely stupid?

Now one of TIME_WAIT (of course) expire (60 seconds in my kernel config) and
all seems back to normal:

Local Address   Remote Address  Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q State
--------------- --------------- ----- ------ ----- ------ ---------
localhost.47422 localhost.47421 32768      0 32768      0 TIME_WAIT
        *.8080          *.*         0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
localhost.8005          *.*         0      0 24576      0 LISTEN

So, we can observe that FIRST TC disconnects to itself on port 8080, and
THEN on port 47422... (the first expiring is the first that got
disconnected)

And then the second expires as well...

Local Address   Remote Address  Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q State
--------------- --------------- ----- ------ ----- ------ ---------
        *.47422         *.*         0      0 24576      0 BOUND
        *.8080          *.*         0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
localhost.8005          *.*         0      0 24576      0 LISTEN

Uhoh... There you go... The stinkin' brat is still there.. A nice BOUND
socket, incredibly enough, the one that the connection was originated from,
but why did that socket had to connect to port 47421? Why isn't it closed
now? Why is it left hanging in my TCP stack? I can tell you that after 5
days it doesn't go away, therefore I believe that the Socket object to which
it refers to doesn't ever gets garbage collected...

A truss of what's going on: effectively, tomcat is doing a great job at
playing around with sockets, but for sure I don't get why it needs to
CONNECT (it's a dumb server), It does it two times, as reported by me
beautifully crafted Solaris kernel, On those connections, as far as I can
see, it never writes (or reads) anything,

/1:     -> libsocket:socket(0x1a, 0x2, 0x0)
/1:     <- libsocket:socket() = 5
/1:     -> libsocket:socket(0x2, 0x2, 0x0)
/1:     <- libsocket:socket() = 5
/1:     -> libsocket:listen(0x5, 0x1)
/1:     <- libsocket:listen() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:getsockname(0x5, 0x8046584, 0x80465b4)
/1:     <- libsocket:getsockname() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:socket(0x2, 0x2, 0x0)
/1:     <- libsocket:socket() = 6
/1:     -> libsocket:connect(0x6, 0x8046584, 0x10)
/1:     <- libsocket:connect() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0x8046584, 0x80465b4)
/1:     <- libsocket:accept() = 7
/1:     -> libsocket:shutdown(0x6, 0x2)
/1:     <- libsocket:shutdown() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:socket(0x2, 0x2, 0x0)
/1:     <- libsocket:socket() = 5
/1:     -> libsocket:setsockopt(0x5, 0xffff, 0x4, 0x8046834)
/1:     <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:bind(0x5, 0x804685c, 0x10)
/1:     <- libsocket:bind() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:listen(0x5, 0x32)
/1:     <- libsocket:listen() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:socket(0x2, 0x2, 0x0)
/1:     <- libsocket:socket() = 8
/1:     -> libsocket:setsockopt(0x8, 0xffff, 0x4, 0x8046948)
/1:     <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:bind(0x8, 0x8046970, 0x10)
/1:     <- libsocket:bind() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:listen(0x8, 0x32)
/1:     <- libsocket:listen() = 0
/1:     -> libsocket:accept(0x8, 0x80469b0, 0x80469d0)
/22:    -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0xd1ec08d0, 0xd1ec08f0)
/22:    <- libsocket:accept() = -1
/22:    -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0xd1ec08d0, 0xd1ec08f0)
/22:    <- libsocket:accept() = 11
/22:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xb, 0xffff, 0x80, 0xd1ec0844)
/22:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/22:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xb, 0x6, 0x1, 0xd1ec0848)
/22:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/22:    -> libsocket:send(0xb, 0xd1ebf718, 0xa8, 0x0)
/22:    <- libsocket:send() = 168
/22:    -> libsocket:send(0xb, 0xd1ebf734, 0x6, 0x0)
/22:    <- libsocket:send() = 6
/22:    -> libsocket:send(0xb, 0x8514960, 0x1cfb, 0x0)
/22:    <- libsocket:send() = 7419
/22:    -> libsocket:send(0xb, 0xd1ebf734, 0x2, 0x0)
/22:    <- libsocket:send() = 2
/22:    -> libsocket:send(0xb, 0xd1ebff6c, 0x5, 0x0)
/22:    <- libsocket:send() = 5
/21:    -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0xd1f108d0, 0xd1f108f0)
/21:    <- libsocket:accept() = 12
/21:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xc, 0xffff, 0x80, 0xd1f10844)
/21:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/21:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xc, 0x6, 0x1, 0xd1f10848)
/21:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/20:    -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0xd1f608d0, 0xd1f608f0)
/20:    <- libsocket:accept() = 13
/20:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xd, 0xffff, 0x80, 0xd1f60844)
/20:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/20:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xd, 0x6, 0x1, 0xd1f60848)
/20:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/19:    -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0xd1fb08d0, 0xd1fb08f0)
/19:    <- libsocket:accept() = 14
/19:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xe, 0xffff, 0x80, 0xd1fb0844)
/19:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/21:    -> libsocket:send(0xc, 0xd1f0fee4, 0xe3, 0x0)
/21:    <- libsocket:send() = 227
/21:    -> libsocket:send(0xc, 0xd1f0ff0c, 0x78e, 0x0)
/21:    <- libsocket:send() = 1934
/19:    -> libsocket:setsockopt(0xe, 0x6, 0x1, 0xd1fb0848)
/20:    -> libsocket:send(0xd, 0xd1f5fee4, 0xe3, 0x0)
/20:    <- libsocket:send() = 227
/19:    <- libsocket:setsockopt() = 0
/20:    -> libsocket:send(0xd, 0x8515a38, 0x1f46, 0x0)
/20:    <- libsocket:send() = 8006
/19:    -> libsocket:send(0xe, 0xd1fafee4, 0xe3, 0x0)
/19:    <- libsocket:send() = 227
/19:    -> libsocket:send(0xe, 0x83defe0, 0x914, 0x0)
/19:    <- libsocket:send() = 2324
/1:     <- libsocket:accept() = -1
/1:     -> libsocket:accept(0x8, 0x80469b0, 0x80469d0)
/30:    -> libsocket:socket(0x2, 0x2, 0x0)
/30:    <- libsocket:socket() = 11
/30:    -> libsocket:bind(0xb, 0xd1c4088c, 0x10)
/30:    <- libsocket:bind() = 0
/30:    -> libsocket:getsockname(0xb, 0xd1c4088c, 0xd1c408ac)
/30:    <- libsocket:getsockname() = 0
/30:    -> libsocket:connect(0xb, 0xd1c40744, 0x10)
/27:    -> libsocket:accept(0x5, 0xd1d308d0, 0xd1d308f0)
/27:    <- libsocket:accept() = 12
/30:    <- libsocket:connect() = 0

For those who are interested in actually making the sucker work, and not
leaving up resources all around the place, I have the full truss output with
all system calls...

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> I can't be a RM for 4.0.4 because I would simply remove 70% of the code, and
> kiddies would start crying their butts off because they don't have the
> manager application, or JSP support :)
>
> But if anyone is interested I'd like to explore the opportunity of a
> Tomcat-HA (high-availability or hard-edition), based on 4.0 without the
> "crap" in there, and straightening out the request-response model...

If you just want to remove the extra features, then you can do that by
doing some JAR editing. That's not very hard to do.

> Simply, take the Catalina classes, and remove piles of useless stuff (more
> or less what Jon does for Scarab, but to a greater degree, maybe even
> reimplementing some of the Standard* classes).

I don't see that much to remove. I assume JNDI is the ever popular
target, but I didn't notice it causing major problems (either
performance or reliability), so I'd say it's not worth it.

Historically, the major reliability problems have been in the connectors
/ thread pooling code.

Remy

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
costinm@covalent.net <co...@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> I can't be a RM for 4.0.4 because I would simply remove 70% of the code, and
>> kiddies would start crying their butts off because they don't have the
>> manager application, or JSP support :)
>
> I don't think you can remove JSP support - tomcat would no longer be
> the 'reference impl. for servlets and jsps'.
>
> And I don't know why you have to _remove_ stuff that other people
> need and wrote - simply because you don't need them ?

Just when they complicate my life as an administrator... Look at what Scarab
is doing... Kudos to Jon who is actually doing it right...

>> But if anyone is interested I'd like to explore the opportunity of a
>> Tomcat-HA (high-availability or hard-edition), based on 4.0 without the
>> "crap" in there, and straightening out the request-response model...
>
> Sure - except the name, which will be 5.0 :-)

Yeah, right... I won't believe it until I won't see it with my own two
eyes...

> As I said, tomcat4.0 is out and in 'maintainance' mode ( like
> tomcat3.2 ). Changing APIs or removing features would require
> a very serious reason and would most likely be vetoed. Tuning and
> fixing and making smaller improvements is still possible - as long
> as the stability of the code is not affected.

I don't remember voting on that...

>>> I don't think you can 'veto' a long term plan or release. AFAIK it's
>>> a majority vote.
>>
>> Veto in terms of -1ing it.
>
> I think 'veto' has a very specific meaning. ( I'm not an expert in
> english, but it's not an english word :-)

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) :

  Veto \Ve"to\, n.; pl. Vetoes. [L. veto I forbid.]
     1. An authoritative prohibition or negative; a forbidding; an
        interdiction.
     2. Specifically:
        (a) A power or right possessed by one department of
            government to forbid or prohibit the carrying out of
            projects attempted by another department; especially,
            in a constitutional government, a power vested in the
            chief executive to prevent the enactment of measures
            passed by the legislature.

Thank you, professor, always encouraging like a brick wall...

    Pier

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with
the readability of PostScript. [Jamie Zawinski - DNA Lounge - San Francisco]

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> I can't be a RM for 4.0.4 because I would simply remove 70% of the code, and
> kiddies would start crying their butts off because they don't have the
> manager application, or JSP support :)

I don't think you can remove JSP support - tomcat would no longer be
the 'reference impl. for servlets and jsps'.

And I don't know why you have to _remove_ stuff that other people
need and wrote - simply because you don't need them ?

> But if anyone is interested I'd like to explore the opportunity of a
> Tomcat-HA (high-availability or hard-edition), based on 4.0 without the
> "crap" in there, and straightening out the request-response model...

Sure - except the name, which will be 5.0 :-)

The whole idea is to improve the modularity of the code ( and the
smaller/cleaner request/response/hook model in Coyote is going to
help ), and allow more flexibility in configuration/packaging.

While the "RI" will likely consist of all the features, it should
be easy to remove or replace components you don't need in a particular
use-case, and release 'specialised' configuration ( like an 'embeded'
edition, 'standalone' or 'integrated', etc ).

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
costinm@covalent.net <co...@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> That's why counts where not right on my side of the border... I don't recall
>> vetoing the proposal... I just complained vehemently that I'd prefer to see
>> 4.0 out of the door and stable rather than a 4.1 and a 5.0...
>
> 4.0 is out of door - the release happened long ago. So did 4.0.1... 4.0.4.
>
> 4.1 is getting close - and it should be more stable and better than 4.0.4.
> And 5.0 should be more stable and better than 4.1 and 3.3.
>
> And 6.0 will probably be better than 5.0.
>
> If you are interested in maintaining and improving 4.0.4 - just volunteer
> as release manager for the branch, you have my +1 on it.

I can't be a RM for 4.0.4 because I would simply remove 70% of the code, and
kiddies would start crying their butts off because they don't have the
manager application, or JSP support :)

But if anyone is interested I'd like to explore the opportunity of a
Tomcat-HA (high-availability or hard-edition), based on 4.0 without the
"crap" in there, and straightening out the request-response model...

Simply, take the Catalina classes, and remove piles of useless stuff (more
or less what Jon does for Scarab, but to a greater degree, maybe even
reimplementing some of the Standard* classes).

>> I can't veto as I don't really care how you want to spend your evenings and
>> stuff...
>
> I don't think you can 'veto' a long term plan or release. AFAIK it's
> a majority vote.

Veto in terms of -1ing it.

    Pier

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with
the readability of PostScript. [Jamie Zawinski - DNA Lounge - San Francisco]

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> That's why counts where not right on my side of the border... I don't recall
> vetoing the proposal... I just complained vehemently that I'd prefer to see
> 4.0 out of the door and stable rather than a 4.1 and a 5.0...

4.0 is out of door - the release happened long ago. So did 4.0.1... 4.0.4.

4.1 is getting close - and it should be more stable and better than 4.0.4.
And 5.0 should be more stable and better than 4.1 and 3.3.

And 6.0 will probably be better than 5.0.

If you are interested in maintaining and improving 4.0.4 - just volunteer
as release manager for the branch, you have my +1 on it.

> I can't veto as I don't really care how you want to spend your evenings and
> stuff...

I don't think you can 'veto' a long term plan or release. AFAIK it's
a majority vote.

Of course we should do our best to get everyone comfortable with the
plan ( at least +0 level ) - so more people will spend their evenings
helping :-)

Costin

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
costinm@covalent.net <co...@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> "costinm@covalent.net" <co...@covalent.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems we have 3 -1 votes so far.
>>
>> For completeness's sake, who are the 3 -1s? Not all the members of this list
>> have the entire day to read all that happens around here...
>
> Glenn, Christopher and you.

That's why counts where not right on my side of the border... I don't recall
vetoing the proposal... I just complained vehemently that I'd prefer to see
4.0 out of the door and stable rather than a 4.1 and a 5.0...

Let's put -1s and +1s in the mouth of the right people.

Re: 5.0 proposal

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.