Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/03 01:41:41 UTC

Re: System slowdown

Hi,

On 9/22/07, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Why would clustering be better than RMI?  It's not immediately clear
> to me why it's faster since it seems that we are just pushing network
> chatter down to the journal and persistence manager.

In principle you are right, but in practice the current JCR-RMI
implementation ends up performing way more network traffic than the
current clustering solution. JCR-RMI basically does a remote method
invocation for each JCR API call that you make, whereas the clustering
solution supports extensive caching and bundling of data to avoid many
of the network roundtrips.

> Are file based blob stores inherently non-transactional or does one
> just need to be written?

Just needs to be written.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: System slowdown

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: System slowdown

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Oct 19, 2007, at 11:33 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Hi,

>>> Just needs to be written.
>> I need one and am happy to try to write one.  Do you have any
>> pointers before I embark on this endeavor?
>
> Sorry, I don't have any pointers, but instead of improving blob store,
> I think you should have a look at the data store. Other than with the
> blob store, transactions are not a problem in the data store. The plan
> is to enable it for Jackrabbit 1.4.

So are you saying that if I start using that new fangled data store a
non-transactional blob store will be moot?

Regards,
Alan

Re: System slowdown

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> >> Are file based blob stores inherently non-transactional or does one
> >> just need to be written?
> > Just needs to be written.
> I need one and am happy to try to write one.  Do you have any
> pointers before I embark on this endeavor?

Sorry, I don't have any pointers, but instead of improving blob store,
I think you should have a look at the data store. Other than with the
blob store, transactions are not a problem in the data store. The plan
is to enable it for Jackrabbit 1.4. See:

I think we have too much choice in Jackrabbit. There are so many
persistence managers, and different ways to store blobs...

Thomas

Re: System slowdown

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.