Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2003/03/05 21:08:35 UTC

RE: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError -- solved

This reply is for the archives.  Jeremy did finally get it running -- he
simply forgot to uncomment the openejb.home init-param after setting it.

The full install process
----------------------------

In Linux, it is literally just three steps:
 1. Copy the openejb_loader-0.9.1.war into the webapps dir
 2. Uncomment and set the openejb.home init-param in the web.xml
 3. Restart Tomcat

If anything goes wrong, it *has* to be step 2, in which case see above.

In Windows, it's the same process, but people constantly have problems
with the NT Service version of Tomcat not actually restarting.  Usually
you have to re-run the Tomcat NT Service install program to get it to
truly restart.  Don't know why, wish I knew an easier way.

How does this work?
----------------------------

The openejb_loader will do all the busy work for you.  It will add all
the required libraries from the OpenEJB directories into the appropriate
classloaders in Tomcat, all automatically and dynamically.  The only
thing you have to do is tell the loader where OpenEJB lives by setting
the openejb.home init-param in the web.xml.

It didn't work!?
----------------------------

Sounds simple, but we see a number of common mistakes:

 - Most people simply forget to uncomment it.  Check and double check
that.
 - Some set it to "OPENEJB_HOME", which won't work. An actual path is
required.
 - Some set it to point to the OpenEJB /bin directory.
 - The rest are usually typos in the path.

Hope this helps everyone out.  As an archive-searcher, I always
appreciate finding emails like this.

If anyone has any ideas on making the integration process even easier, I
am all ears.

-David

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jw...@starprecision.com>.
David,
	I got OpenEJB working but I'm not able to run the example.  I
have created and compiled the
HelloBean.java,HelloHome.java,HelloObject.java and HelloWorld.java.
Here is the directory structure:

/usr/local/share/development/openejb

	|_WEB-INF

		|_lib

		|_classes

			|_META-INF
			|	|
			|	|_ejb-jar.xml

			|_org

				|_acme

					|_HelloBean.java
					|_HelloBean.class
					|_HelloHome.java
					|_HelloHome.class
					|_HelloObject.java
					|_HelloObject.class
					|_HelloWorld.java
					|_HelloWorld.class

I have setup Tomcat's server.xml to do this:

<!-- OpenEJB ExampleText Bean Context -->
	<Contect path="/openejb"
docBase="/usr/local/share/development/openejb" debug="0"/>

Now, when I do http://localhost:8080/openejb/servlet/HelloOpenEJB I get:

HTTP Status 404-/openejb/servlet/HelloOpenEJB

type Status report
message /openejb/servlet/HelloOpenEJB
description The requested resource (/openejb/servlet/HelloOpenEJB) is
not available

Any ideas why?  I remember in the previous version of OpenEJB, I had to
place the HelloWorld.java and HelloWorld.class in the classes directory
instead of the acme directory.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Jeremy