Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Pearsall, Kyle" <Ky...@cis.canon.com> on 2000/08/26 00:32:02 UTC

Tomcat & Apache

I'm still putting together Apache and Tomcat.  Apache is working the way I
want it to, but as for Tomcat, I still have to type in
"http://hostname:8080/test.jsp (or whatever) to use jsp files.  Is there a
way I can just type in http://hostname/test.jsp and have apache redirect the
jsp to tomcat?  I've been reading "Tomcat - A mimimalistic User's Guide" and
followed it as closely as I can, but it still doesn't work without the 8080
port.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  thanks,

Kyle P.

RE: Tomcat & Apache

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi James,

>         http://www.mysite.com/servlet/myservlet
> or    http://192.168.47.53:8080/myservlet

The first one works because of a mount you've specified, in mysite.com.
e.g.

ApJServMount /servlet /wherever_tomcat_is_listening

The second one works because you haven't disabled Tomcat's HTTP server I
guess =)  And you have something like, <Context path="" .../> in your
server.xml.

> What I want is to simple address it as:
>
>      http://www.mysite.com/myservlet

You'll need the line

ApJServMount / /wherever_tomcat_is_listening

However, this will result in ALL requests being sent to Tomcat for handling,
including images.

There may be another way to do it, but I'm not sure...

- r

Re: Tomcat & Apache

Posted by James Fraley <jf...@home.com>.
I've got a very similar problem.  Apache finds JSPs just fine.  IE:  When I
type:

   http://www.mysite.com/myjsp.jsp

everything works.  However, the only way I can access a servlet is to use
one of the following methods:

        http://www.mysite.com/servlet/myservlet
or    http://192.168.47.53:8080/myservlet

What I want is to simple address it as:

     http://www.mysite.com/myservlet

I think I've got it mapped correctly.  I'm sure this is just a configuration
issue, but I'm just to new to figure it out!  Can anyone point me to the
correct answer??????????

Thanks
James Fraley

Posted by Patrick Dolbachian <do...@o2game.com>.
Hello,
At the beginning I have the same problem, but after recompiling mod_jserv,
putting
attribute x on the .o, and putting the default directory for apache not in
the default of Tomcat, it's work.

========================
   Patrick Dolbachian
       O2GAME SA
 mailto:dolby@o2game.com
  http://www.o2game.fr
 Tel: +33 (0)3 4486 1858
 Fax: +33 (0)3 4486 0401
========================

RE: Tomcat & Apache

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
> I'm still putting together Apache and Tomcat.  Apache is working the way I
> want it to, but as for Tomcat, I still have to type in
> "http://hostname:8080/test.jsp (or whatever) to use jsp files.  Is there a
> way I can just type in http://hostname/test.jsp and have apache
> redirect the
> jsp to tomcat?  I've been reading "Tomcat - A mimimalistic User's
> Guide" and
> followed it as closely as I can, but it still doesn't work
> without the 8080
> port.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  thanks,

When you omit the port, it's implied ("well-known port") to use port 80.
8080 is a nonstandard port, which is why you have to explicitly state that.
Have Apache listen on 80 instead of 8080, that's all.

Also, make sure that Tomcat's HTTP server isn't running, because you might
still be hitting Tomcat and thinking that you're hitting Apache =)

Try this document:

http://fuzz.cx/~rslifka/tomcat-apache-howto.html

- r