Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/05 14:17:13 UTC

Is it safe to delete a template after deploying VMs from it?

I've always wondered, and it's time to find it out, is it safe to delete a
template after one or more vms has been deployed from it?

I understand that 'reset' / 'reinstall' won't work as the template is gone,
but is there any other negative drawbacks?

Infrastructure is XenServer 6.2 hypervisors and NFS primary storage if it
matters

--
Erik

Re: Is it safe to delete a template after deploying VMs from it?

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
In general it should be safe - never had issues - I have even once done rm
-rf on the secondary storage, which obviously I should not do :))) (don't
ask why, I'm not proud of it :) )

Interesting note, although not what you asked:

When very first VM is deployed from template that template get's copied
over as new image on the primary storage and then another one image is
deployed for that first VM, referencing the already mentioned very first
image which is used only for READS, and per my experience, all new VMs
derived from same template will use the same common image for READs (the
very first image created) and each VM will have ofcourse it's own
difrerentiating image referencing the very first image - forgot the name
for this, KVM names this backing image or something - this way you jave 10
VMs deployed with i.e. 50GB each - and actual usage is only 50GB + (10 x
i.e. 1MB) for a start...this way you save space on primary
storage...although I don;t know if it is counted as ALLOCATED...

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Is it safe to delete a template after deploying VMs from it?

Posted by Mārtiņš Jakubovičs <ma...@vertigs.lv>.
Hello,

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago Costa <th...@acotel.com>.