Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ch...@chicks.net on 2001/02/05 21:31:05 UTC

SQL log analyzer for Apache::DBILogger

Sometime in the next month I need to embark on a log analyzer for the logs
we've been accumulating for many moons via Apache::DBILogger.  Has anyone
made any effort to do such a thing already?  I've dug around the web for a
while and come up with zilch.

--
</chris>

Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to buy Microsoft products.

Re: SQL log analyzer for Apache::DBILogger

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 chicks@chicks.net wrote:

> Sometime in the next month I need to embark on a log analyzer for the logs
> we've been accumulating for many moons via Apache::DBILogger.  Has anyone
> made any effort to do such a thing already?  I've dug around the web for a
> while and come up with zilch.

the code is impressively gross, but check the "bin" directory in the
Apache::DBILogger tar file.

:)

 - ask (who has version 0.94 in the works on ~30th month :-/ )

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://ask.netcetera.dk/>

Re: SQL log analyzer for Apache::DBILogger

Posted by ch...@chicks.net.
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 chicks@chicks.net wrote:
>
> > Sometime in the next month I need to embark on a log analyzer for the logs
> > we've been accumulating for many moons via Apache::DBILogger.  Has anyone
> > made any effort to do such a thing already?  I've dug around the web for a
> > while and come up with zilch.
>
> There are certainly such things about, and you might like to have a
> look at the thread "How to really bang on a script?" about the end of
> October 2000.

I found the thread ( http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/binzhimwah
) and there was the mention of a log-related program called Daquiri.
This is also mentioned at
http://perl.apache.org/guide/download.html#Daquiri_yet_another_webserver .
But none of that seems to have anything to do with log analysis.  I'm
trying to generate the information to keep the marketing types happy -
page hits per day and such.

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 chicks@chicks.net wrote:

> Sometime in the next month I need to embark on a log analyzer for the logs
> we've been accumulating for many moons via Apache::DBILogger.  Has anyone
> made any effort to do such a thing already?  I've dug around the web for a
> while and come up with zilch.

There are certainly such things about, and you might like to have a look at
the thread "How to really bang on a script?" about the end of October 2000.

73,
Ged.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, T.J. Mather wrote:
> I have a script that reads the logs from the database and dumps it out
> to a flat file in the standard format Apache uses when writing
> access_log, then I run a program called webalizer on it.  I actually
> don't use Apache::DBILogger, but the database table is similar to the
> table generated by Apache::DBILogger.

I'd thought of doing that or modifying webalizer to work off the SQL
tables.  It seems to me like there's so much more possible with storing
summary information in the database that's periodically refreshed and
avoiding HTML generation except when the user requests it.  I'm going to
look at the code Ask recommended today.

Posted by "T.J. Mather" <tj...@anidea.com>.

T.J. Mather				http://tjmather.com
http://cpan2.org/			New CPAN Search Engine