Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Tommy Williams <to...@devgeeks.org> on 2012/02/14 00:15:56 UTC

Question about the roadmap for deprecations in iOS (plugin related)

Hi,

I was whipping up a plugin a couple days ago for iOS that needed to push a modal view controller much like ChildBrowser does:

presentModalViewController:animated:

I looked at how ChildBrowser managed this from within a plugin and tried implementing it in my plugin, but got a great many warnings about deprecations. I looked into it and these are the deprecations that were part of the changes made to support using PhoneGap/Cordova as a component in 1.4.x. I imagine the widely used ChildBrowser will also be affected.

the ticket at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-166 mentions upgrade docs are planned, but they seemed to be more about upgrading projects ("create a new project", yadda yadda) more so than upgrading from a plugin standpoint.

tl;dr version:

Is there a plan for a guide on upgrading plugins that rely on PhoneGapViewController or [super appController] etc?

To be honest, I would be just as happy with someone updating ChildBrowser so I can mooch off that work, but it would be nice for plugin devs to have a bit more documentation. Plugins break with new releases quite frequently causing issues for the devs as well as implementers of the plugins.

Just for the record, I am not just complaining, I am also putting my hand up for that documentation if I can help.

--
Tommy-Carlos Williams
tommy@devgeeks.org

Re: Question about the roadmap for deprecations in iOS (plugin related)

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I've written and checked in the Plugin Upgrade Guide (you might have
to wait until the Github mirror updates):
https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-ios/blob/master/guides/Cordova%20Plugin%20Upgrade%20Guide.md

(raw here https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cordova-ios.git;a=blob_plain;f=guides/Cordova+Plugin+Upgrade+Guide.md;hb=HEAD
)

Tommy - let me know your feedback, or even send a pull request to
improve it. We can continue the discussion in the issue as well:

Shaz

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tommy,