Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/11/14 04:51:56 UTC

[BUG] ProxyPass / mod_rewrite and proxy auth

Setup proxy access restrictions requiring user authentication.

Setup a mapping from a local server to a remote server using ProxyPass or
mod_rewrite with the proxy.  Say map http://myserver/foo/ to
http://otherserver/bar/ using the proxy.

Make a request to http://myserver/foo/.  Apache will send a proxy auth
required to the client.  IE4 and Navigator 3&4 properly have no idea how
to handle the proxy auth request because they aren't using a proxy.

The fix?  Either don't require any auth for such things on the assumption
that the admin knows what they are doing and would put access restrictions
on /foo if they really wanted them or just send a normal auth request.

Re: [BUG] ProxyPass / mod_rewrite and proxy auth

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ta...@prairie.NoDak.edu>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Setup proxy access restrictions requiring user authentication.
>
> Setup a mapping from a local server to a remote server using ProxyPass or
> mod_rewrite with the proxy.  Say map http://myserver/foo/ to
> http://otherserver/bar/ using the proxy.
>
> Make a request to http://myserver/foo/.  Apache will send a proxy auth
> required to the client.  IE4 and Navigator 3&4 properly have no idea how
> to handle the proxy auth request because they aren't using a proxy.

I clicked on the link instinctively and ... my  Netscape connected
to www.myserver.com and said 404 :)

Bet soon there'll be no 1-3 word English phrase that's not used as a
domain name. (www.otherserver.com is still vacant though :)

igor

RE: [BUG] ProxyPass / mod_rewrite and proxy auth

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Marc Slemko:

>  Make a request to http://myserver/foo/.  Apache will send a proxy auth
>  required to the client.  IE4 and Navigator 3&4 properly have no idea how
>  to handle the proxy auth request because they aren't using a proxy.

Maybe this is caused by the fullURI handling... I posted a message about
this topic some days ago.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                             - Foolproof operation:
sfx@unix-ag.org                         - No provision for adjustment.