Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2003/02/06 17:33:07 UTC

Possible threading issues with xsltc + BCEL ???

Hi Cocooners,

Are their any other Cocoon users having Threading Issues with xsltc?

Its seems that if you have a translat being compiled at the same time by two
or more threads (instances of TraxTransformer) you will get issues because
BCEL is not (by design) threadsafe as it users static methods and
variables which seem to be overwriting each other???

Once the Translets get compiled however, such threading issues disappear.

Does anyone have expirence with this?

Regards,
Michael Melhem

Ps After locally patching org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TemplatesHandlerImpl.java
with some synch code around the compile block, all seems OK.

Re: Possible threading issues with xsltc + BCEL ???

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Michael Melhem wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Xalan guys have updated the xsltc code to resolve this issue. Will
>update the xsltc jar in Cocoon head if there are no objections.

Go ahead!

Vadim

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net>.
I've hit this - it only happens when compiling the stylesheet though. Concurrent requests right at
startup do not do wel...I had no workaround...but that would be a GOOD THING to have fixed...
> Hi Cocooners,
>
> Are their any other Cocoon users having Threading Issues with xsltc?
>
> Its seems that if you have a translat being compiled at the same time by two  or more threads
> (instances of TraxTransformer) you will get issues because  BCEL is not (by design) threadsafe
> as it users static methods and  variables which seem to be overwriting each other???
>
> Once the Translets get compiled however, such threading issues disappear.
>
> Does anyone have expirence with this?
>
> Regards,
> Michael Melhem
>
> Ps After locally patching org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TemplatesHandlerImpl.java with some synch
> code around the compile block, all seems OK.

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."

Re: Possible threading issues with xsltc + BCEL ???

Posted by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net>.