Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> on 2001/07/31 05:59:47 UTC

Fulcrum Separation

Hi,

I want to start checking in the fulcrum repository over the next two
days so I thought I'd go over the plan to see if anyone wants
to pipe up before I start.

There will be a core package which will consist of the classes in
the org.apache.turbine.services package. I would really like to
get rid of any turbine references so I would like to change
the package to:

org.apache.fulcrum

All of this code will exist in src/core and will be packaged
in a jar called fulcrum-core-{version}.jar

All the services will live in src/services and each service
will have it's own build with its own stated dependencies. The
build will look like that of Torque's.

I would also like to change the package for most of the services
except for rundata and intake which are turbine specific. Each
of the services will be packaged in a JAR with the following
convention: fulcrum-{service}-{version}.jar

I've borrowed the JAR loader from some code in Velocity that
Dave wrote.

I plan to be able to pull default configuration information out
of the JARS, but the core package will also obey a Fulcrum.properties
file if it is present. I am also working on a web console that can
be used to configure fulcrum from a webapp.

I would like to get Fulcrum (and Torque) in a state where they
are usable on their own and try to get non-turbiner's developing
with these tools which is why I'd like to ditch the turbine
package namespace.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Fulcrum Separation

Posted by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk>.
Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
The Java Apache "standards" have so far dicated that the top level package
name reflect top level projects. Fulcrum is not a top level project, I'm
not saying that this issue about package name "standards" can't be
discussed on General@Jakarta, I'm just saying that this has been the
history to date.

My personal feeling is that it should be org.apache.turbine.fulcrum

thanks,

-jon