Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Luke Holden <al...@prodigy.net> on 2002/01/23 13:10:36 UTC

XSL and turbine

I am curious, is any body else using XML/XSLT in turbine?

If so, I would be interested in knowing how you went about using it.

I am currently using a slightly modifed VelocityXmlLayout (the original did
not work for some reason?) Instead of screens/navigations I am using xml
files full of data. The final xml output (layout, navigation and screen xml
output) is processed by a XSL transformation belonging to the layout.
(Strange, the original VelocityXmlLayouy could not find the xsl file... This
might be due to the fact I am not using a standard release ver of turbine...)

Anyways... If anyone else has gone about this in a different fassion, I would
love to know.

Also, has any one used intake in addition to the xslt service?

Luke

RE: Turbine and the Google Web Services API

Posted by Diederik de Groot <dd...@talon.nl>.
Hi there Bruce,

Congrats with getting it to work. I'm working on a new application skeleton
which is a bit more elaborate the newapp and i want to incorporate as many
little sample solutions to possible problems people might have, as possible.
I would like to set up a repository of good software and handy utils. It's
goiing to reside in /crontrib under the turbine repository. Would you
contribute you peace of solution ?

Thanks in advance,

Diederik de Groot [mailto:ddegroot@talon.nl]

Posted by Bruce Altner <ba...@hq.nasa.gov>.

Re: XSL and turbine

Posted by Luke Holden <al...@prodigy.net>.
> I have been playing around with XML/DVSL :-) I will probably add a view
> system that uses DVSL instead of XSL. You can find information on DVSL
> here:

Ohh interesting. I have not really descovered DVSL until now. I am really not
sure if that is a direction I want to go in however. The thing I like about
using XML and XSL is the further seperation between logic and layout. Even
with pure Velocity/html files you end up with some non display logic sitting
in your templates... (I am using pull model by the way). The thing I like
about using XML and XSL is that you end up with xml describing the
content. Then the XSL file is used for JUST layout of the content.

The advantage I in this is that I can modify the back end however I want. My
customer can modify the front end how ever he wants. As long as the xml
remains consistant neither of us has to worry much about what the other does.
My logic in this might be flawed so please feel free to tell me wrong :)

> This is all in Turbine 3. I will attempt to make Velocity, JSP and DVSL all
> work with the classic model in t3: layouts, navigations and screens.

However, xsl is a bit limiting. (and rather verbose.) I would be interested
in learning more about DVSL. I would actually rather like to play with t3
some... However, it seems that right now, the torque stuff is commented out
of the build.xml file in the TDK for t3. (and some parts seem to be missing,
like the taskdef's.) So I could build an app, and if I wanted to, I could
manually get the DB stuff working............... I guess I will check out the
tdk in a few days and see if the torque stuff is working again :)

Thanks for the reply :)
Luke

Re: XSL and turbine

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/dvsl/

This is all in Turbine 3. I will attempt to make Velocity, JSP and DVSL all
work with the classic model in t3: layouts, navigations and screens.

> If so, I would be interested in knowing how you went about using it.
>
> I am currently using a slightly modifed VelocityXmlLayout (the original did
> not work for some reason?) Instead of screens/navigations I am using xml
> files full of data. The final xml output (layout, navigation and screen xml
> output) is processed by a XSL transformation belonging to the layout.
> (Strange, the original VelocityXmlLayouy could not find the xsl file... This
> might be due to the fact I am not using a standard release ver of turbine...)
>
> Anyways... If anyone else has gone about this in a different fassion, I would
> love to know.
>
> Also, has any one used intake in addition to the xslt service?
>
> Luke

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org