Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Ostermueller Erik - eoster <Er...@acxiom.com> on 2005/05/25 17:04:12 UTC

Parsing sql and the QueryTreeNode

Hello all,

I'm trying to leverage the derby SQL parser in my own app, just like the
guy in this post:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200501.mbox/%3C41
EF4326.5090103@Sourcery.Org%3E

The reply from "Kathey Marsden" suggests that you could just pump the jj
file through javacc and voilla--Instant SQL Compiler.  This really isn't
the case -- the jj file is tightly integrated with Derby.

So, perhaps you could help me with this:
Does anyone have a tester or sample code that launches a database and
submits SQL in the same vm as the db (bypassing JDBC)?

That way, my own code could instantiate the Parser and get a
QueryTreeNode in return.

Thank you,

--Erik Ostermueller

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.

Re: Parsing sql and the QueryTreeNode

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Ostermueller Erik - eoster wrote:

>The reply from "Kathey Marsden" suggests that you could just pump the jj
>file through javacc and voilla--Instant SQL Compiler.  This really isn't
>the case -- the jj file is tightly integrated with Derby.

I certainly did not mean to give that impression. I was answering the
bit asking for a pointer to how Derby parses an SQL statement. . (This
was before I learned about sniipping out the parts not relevant to my
response).  You are right. sqlgrammar.jj  is tightly integrated with
Derby.

I don't have any answers to your questions  unfortunately. I hope this
clarifies my earlier response.

Kathey