Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by oh...@cox.net on 2009/09/12 23:39:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with Apache 2.2.13 and "SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth"

Hi,

We are using Apache as a reverse-proxy in front of a WebLogic server.

In our older configuration, using Apache 2.0.5x, when we enable client-authenticated SSL, and uncomment the following line in ssl.conf:

SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +CompatEnvVars +StrictRequire

we get the "Authorization" HTTP header, containing the BASE64-encoded certificate subject string (actually, <cert subject string>:password, BASE64-encoded).

We are now moving to Apache 2.2.x, and I'm testing a configuration on Windows, and it looks like, when we uncomment the SSLOptions line in extra/httpd-ssl.conf, the "Authorization" HTTP header is no longer being sent by Apache to WebLogic.

I also tried changing the SSLOptions directive to just:

SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth

and I still don't see the "Authorization" header.

According to the docs:

"FakeBasicAuth
When this option is enabled, the Subject Distinguished Name (DN) of the Client X509 Certificate is translated into a HTTP Basic Authorization username. This means that the standard Apache authentication methods can be used for access control. The user name is just the Subject of the Client's X509 Certificate (can be determined by running OpenSSL's openssl x509 command: openssl x509 -noout -subject -in certificate.crt). Note that no password is obtained from the user. Every entry in the user file needs this password: ``xxj31ZMTZzkVA'', which is the DES-encrypted version of the word `password''. Those who live under MD5-based encryption (for instance under FreeBSD or BSD/OS, etc.) should use the following MD5 hash of the same word: ``$1$OXLyS...$Owx8s2/m9/gfkcRVXzgoE/''."

Does anyone know why I might not be getting the "Authorization" HTTP header, or, more importantly, how I can get that working again?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: [users@httpd] Problem with Apache 2.2.13 and "SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth"

Posted by David Cassidy <da...@twocats.co.uk>.
Jim

is there any reason that you're not using the weblogic module ? wl_proxy
i think ?

i think that it might be more useful than just using apache as a reverse
proxy.
wl_proxy tells apache which boxes in your cluster are alive and ready to
do work for example.

David