Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2005/03/07 08:20:18 UTC

Experimental version building with Maven

I messed around with Maven a little and have something that builds using
separate modules for:
* engine
* jdbc20
* jdbc30
* tools

I have not really tested the output except to confirm that I can create
a database and table and then select from it using both 1.3 and 1.4.

There are a few things that I skipped (like generating the Sanity flag
and the class size catalog) but they would be easy to add.

It uses maven's multiproject plugin to build all four modules so for now
you still need both JDK1.3 and 1.4 installed for the default build to
work. However, it would be fairly simple to skip a jdbcX0 module if the
JDK was not available.

You can download a jar file containing the tree from
http://www.apache.org/~jboynes/derby-maven.jar

To build, you will need maven :-)
It assumes your default JDK (JAVA_HOME) is 1.4 or 1.5 so to tell it the
location of the 1.3 libraries create a file in your home directory
called build.properties containing something like:

derby.jdk13.home=C:\\Java\\JDK131

You can build the entire project by typing "maven" from the root
directory, or can cd into a specific module and build it on its own the
same way.

The build will automatically generate jars named something like

derby-engine-10.1.0.SNAPSHOT.jar

where SNAPSHOT is a moniker which indicates to maven that something is a
temporary version.

Anyway, please don't consider this a final version but more something to
fuel discussion.

--
Jeremy